TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got the tires I wanted on the wheels I wanted.

17x7.5" Cobra R's with Fuzion ZRi 255/50/17's. The rear fit easily of course. The front came so close to the bottom part of the upper ball joint that I couldn't get a quarter between the tire and the part. I contemplated spacers, the techs at Firestone wanted me to go with 245/45/17's up front. We ended up cutting off that part hangs below where the spindle clamps onto the ball joint. Its close, but it has enough clearance, and there is enough steel left to be safe. The car drove great on the way home, but the larger tires amplified the fact that it does need an alignment. They asked if I wanted one when I got the tires, and I would have said yes, but I'm planning on putting the Eibachs and KYB's this week and didn't want to pay for two alignments.

And before anyone punches in the TTIWWP smiley. I know, I need to post pics. I took some pics in KC using my Dads camera and then uploaded them onto my moms computer. And they are still there. Unfortunately I'm now home in Parsons, so I'll have to get some pics tomorrow.

One thing I do still need is center caps. Anyone have any extra laying around? :D

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok, got the pics taken this morning. The car is dirty, but hey I got back from KC last night at 10:30 and didn't feel like washing it before replacing the right front fender (notice the dents in it? they're gone now :D)

Before you say "It needs to be lowered", I'm hoping to get the Eibachs and KYB's put on this week.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Looking good!!!
Need's to be lowered though LOL

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mid 90's Mustang GT "GT 4.6" badges. I'd do it today, but I'm running late for work!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Wow man looks great.And yes it is begging to be lowered.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Looks nice Mike :) It will look even better after you get the Eibach's on. I swapped over my Cobra R's for a few days (don't ask) last week and snapped a few pics. I'll be putting Eibach's on mine as well - eventually haha. Got other things in line first.

-Melon

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Chrome looks great. I went with silver for two reasons. It goes with the stripes, and I got a great price on them from Ebay. :D

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
Looks nice man, nice pick.

next time your in mississippi stop by and ill help you put on some hydraulics and youll be in business ;)

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
What tires did you go with?

-Joel

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks nice man, nice pick.

next time your in mississippi stop by and ill help you put on some hydraulics and youll be in business ;)
LOL Thanks for the offer, but I'm just too old fashioned (or maybe just too old :D )for hydraulics. Don't think my backside could take it!

Joel, its got Fuzion ZRi 255/50/17's

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL I've been through this over and over with a few people. Before I go any further I must state that this is (for the most part) my opinion... For your car, you put whatever size you want that will fit. With that said:

255/50/16 is nearly IDENTICAL in diameter to the 215/70/15's that came off of the car originally. It is close to the 225/60/16's (again in diameter). The 245/45/17 is a Mustang size and is much smaller in diamter than the T-bird tires. Now the math.

215/70/15 - 26.9" diameter

225/60/16 - 26.6" diameter

255/50/17 - 27" diamter - .7% off original size. 60.4 mph speedo reading when going 60 mph

245/45/17 - 25.7" diameter - 4.4% off original size. 57.4 MPH reading when going 60 mph

255/45/17 - 26" diameter - 3% off original size. 58.2 MPH reading when going 60 mph.

Reference: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I chose to go with the tire that is closest in diameter to the original spec tire.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Oh, I was just thinking about that as I was just looking for new tires, and came across your post, Btw your car is looking good!!

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
When you wear out the Fuzions...and you will wear them out quickly....go for the Kumho ASX in the 255/50-17. I switched to them after a bout with the Fuzions. They're a MUCH better tire so far at about the same price. :D

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Traveler, the Kumho ASX is what I run as well, I like em when I don't drive like a maniac!

-Joel

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I mentioned the tight clearance of the tires in the first post but describing it just doesn't do it justice. So I got some pics. (you know pic...thousand words...yada yada...)

But it DOES clear.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts