TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive weld exaust pipes with gas welders but i need to know if i can weld exaust pipes with a gasless welder is that posible need some opinion for ya:confused: cause i never used it before

·
Registered
550 Posts
Are you talking ARC welding or Flux core wire weld? Flux core can be done but it will be messy. I would think that a stick welder would burn thru too easily.

I used to know a guy that could TIG weld a pop can that had been cut in half and have it not leak afterwords. Anything is possible with enough skill.

·
Registered
290 Posts
ARC AKA stick welding=Very very difficult,but can be done.Usually looks like crap.
MIG/Flux core AKA wire welding=Easily done, but flux core can leave a nasty weld.Make sure the metal is very clean.No anti corrosion coatings(oil) and scotch bright the ends of the tubing.
TIG=Over kill but leaves a beautiful weld.On stainless it can be sanded and polished to look like one piece tubing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
so whats the best wire to do it with and whats the best setting for this ?????????
That depends on the thickness of the tubing and the welder being used.Your unit should have a chart on the inside of the door where the wire is loaded.If it's a cheap off brand welder without the chart,then it's all trial and error.

·
Registered
550 Posts
As Ben said, make sure the tubing is clean. You should also remove any galvanic coating before welding as the fumes are toxic. I have a 90 amp flux wire welder at home for basic repairs. It works fine but flux core makes a lot of spatter. Also, a 90 amp isn't going to weld like the one you are used to using at work. They are usually 220 volt and variable amps. Make sure you pay attention to the duty cycle of your welder too. My 90 has a 1/10 cycle. For every minute I weld, it has to cool for 10 minutes. One minute is a long time to hold an arc but can easily be done if you try to weld the entire bead around the tube in one go. If you go too far over the duty cycle the welder will fault. If you fault it too many times, your girl will be mad at you for ruining the welder she got you for your b-day.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As Ben said, make sure the tubing is clean. You should also remove any galvanic coating before welding as the fumes are toxic. I have a 90 amp flux wire welder at home for basic repairs. It works fine but flux core makes a lot of spatter. Also, a 90 amp isn't going to weld like the one you are used to using at work. They are usually 220 volt and variable amps. Make sure you pay attention to the duty cycle of your welder too. My 90 has a 1/10 cycle. For every minute I weld, it has to cool for 10 minutes. One minute is a long time to hold an arc but can easily be done if you try to weld the entire bead around the tube in one go. If you go too far over the duty cycle the welder will fault. If you fault it too many times, your girl will be mad at you for ruining the welder she got you for your b-day.
seems like u have the same one (firepower):)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
she ask me if i wanted the lincon gas one but i told her that we have morgage to pay so i didnt want her to overdraft her napa acc since she work at the wharehouse and just got laid off so i guess i can deal with this then

·
Registered
550 Posts
I can't remember. I am still using the 4lb spool that came with the welder. I will take a look tomorrow and post back. I am at work right now and I go to bed as soon as I get home, 1:30AM here.

I haven't tried welding any exhaust pipe, mostly thicker stuff. When it is really thick, I preheat with a propane torch. I have welded up to 1/8th inch with no problem other than preheating. I tried some thinner stuff and had a lot of burn thru. I am NOT a trained welder. I can tell if the weld is good but can't make a good weld to save my life on the thin stuff. If I need to have something last, I tack it together at home and take it in to work and have someone TIG it for me.

If you can get them, I suggest you get some scrap pieces of the pipe you will be welding and practicce before you strike an arc on your good material. A local exhaust shop may let you take scraps if they don't have a contract with their supplier to return the scrap for recycling.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
How are the exhaust pieces fitting together ? Does one pipe fit into the other, or are you just butt welding them together ? If they fit together nice, you wont have any issues welding even with a gasless flux core .. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How are the exhaust pieces fitting together ? Does one pipe fit into the other, or are you just butt welding them together ? If they fit together nice, you wont have any issues welding even with a gasless flux core .. :rolleyes:
im bout to start it soon as i get the pipes so i don't know yet let you know tomorrow if i get them still waiting ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
i use a lincoln welder. i have no issues with flux core wire. i use.035 wire it works fine. on finer welds i hook up the gas..but for exhaust i you set the heat range right and take your time you can make a nice weld bead..dont breathe in the fumes!

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
For doing basic exhaust work, a flux core 110v welder will do just fine. Might take a little longer with the lighter duty cycle, but it'll do it. Basically all you're doing is sticking the pipe together and sealing it up, so consistent penetration isn't as critical as if you were doing structural work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts