TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapping my stock 4.6 with a 2002 Saleen S281 engine. I want to keep my IRS intact, but was wondering what modifications I wil need to look at with a motor that was dynoed @ 435 RWHP. Will my transmission keep up? Can I get posi-traction and stay with the IRS?

Any suggestions??

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
The 4R70W can support that power level, but probably not in it's stock form, especially in a 95. The transmission can be built stronger, or you could swap in a newer (98+) trans. for a relatively low cost.

Yes you can have limited slip and IRS, your car may already have it in fact. Check your door jamb axle code and compare it with the chart in the TCCoA tech articles Gears section. If you don't already have it you can swap in a T-Bird/Cougar rear end with Trac-lok (what I am doing), you can use a '99 Cobra rear end, or you can buy a FRPP pumpkin.

Personally, I'd get a newer transmission, a new driveshaft, replace the rear end, and possibly upgrade the half shafts.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
435rwhp? Sounds like an S-281E engine to me. I hope it doesn't still have the stock internals(which the E motor doesn't). Post some pics when you're done.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Aren't the Saleens basically a stock GT w/ the Saleen addons like interior, s/c, body kit, etc??? In other words stock engines with Saleen s/c stuck on top? How would a Saleen s/c be compared to a KB s/c??

Clay

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
ahh geez

Dude, a Saleen is (as far as I know) Vortech or Procharger blown. Saleen doesn't make a blower. As far as comparing to a Kenne Bell. It doesn't.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
cman2007 is right, well somewhat....
saleens are originally V6 stangs then they are equipped with the g f/x, wheels, interior....then the engine and tranny are placed...

They are just GT engines with a better flowing exhaust and that's it

the "E" and some other higher end saleens have the supercharger and even some have a 351 that is also blown at times, again these are the higher end Saleens

oh and of course the ones that are blown have better internals...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Saleen S281 4.6 2V 425

HP Engine
Saleen S281 4.6 2V 445 HP Engine
450 ft lbs. torque
Saleen Series V screw type intercooled supercharger
Saleen forged steel crankshaft
Saleen forged steel rods
Saleen forged aluminum pistons
Aluminum heads with Saleen cam shafts and super duty valve springs
90 mm mass air sensor
75mm throttle body
Saleen special inlet tube and manifold
Saleen water-to-air intercooler with heat exchanger
Saleen performance dual core radiator
Saleen twin gauge pod; boost and air temperature
Saleen cold air induction system and performance air filter
42 lb/hr sequential fuel injectors
High flow fuel pump
Saleen performance center exhaust system
Saleen “Powerflash” performance calibration, 6500 rpm redline
Saleen quick ratio 6-speed manual transmission
11” aluminum flywheel with 11” full high performance clutch disc
Saleen exclusive patented MaxGrip 8.8” differential
3.55:1 Differential
Balanced custom drive shaft

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
how could the car dyno at 435RWHP if the engine isnt in the car? did it dyno on another vehicle?

if it where me id go for the regular upgrades, a better drive shaft, either custom or one off of a respectable mn12 based car (93 mark) you can upgrade the half shafts but i dont think thats really nessicary, if you want an easy t-lok bolt in just go with the aluminum 3.73 FRPP pumpkin, and for the tranny just go with any 98 up 4r70w do the j-mod and put a big big cooler on it, and if you want alot more pep go with a smaller TC with a higher stall, and you should be set, if you got the money go buy a fully built 4r70w with all the beefy internals, built 4r's are suposed to be able to handle upwards off 1000hp

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
yeah but im just curious about whats going on with this guy and his car, i dont like seeing people who dont actaully have cars pose like they have really fast cars

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Saleen having a twin screw blower with their name on it is big news to me. Maybe it's Steeda who's cars are centrifugal 'charged.

I'm well aware that the majority of Saleen's cars are N/A.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
JoeyICU said:
yeah but im just curious about whats going on with this guy and his car, i dont like seeing people who dont actaully have cars pose like they have really fast cars
How do you know that he is a poser? He is a newbie who came here asking a simple question. Lets at least give him the benifit of the doubt and help him out. by the way molsen4u, welcome to the boards! :D

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Molse4u welcome ; as for the drive train , the half shaftts could be upgraded to MK VIII units which have larger C/V joints and a bit more meat on em per one of my verry knowledgable friends...The tranny could also be upgraded..... but see how things hold up 1st.... You will need a good chip however , and I recommend getting one fron lonnie to make evrything mesh together... as for rear end, a posi unit from ford , or an auburn unit would be a smart add on to keep things in control from the get go... you can rebuild a posi, an auburn you gotta replace , so most guys like the posi, but I like my Auburn a lot... dont mind joey, he's into evrything.... Poser??, Hmpfff...Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
its nothing against him im just skeptikal at people, im not saying he posing 100%, im not bashing him, i just would like to know more about the car and all, and why its geting a saleen engine and how itll evolve thats all

1 - 16 of 16 Posts