TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About a month ago i noticed how crappy (yellow) my headlights were so i thought i'd do something about it....While washing my car i sprayed some Eagle One "tire and wheel cleaner" on the headlights and to my surprise the yellow washed right away.....I didn't even have to scrub at it.....as soon as the spray hit the light yellow started running off the headlights....so i sprayed and rinsed until there wasn't any more yellow. Just that easy! F.Y.I....The cleaner is in a bright orange see through bottle... Afterwards i was left with a "hazy" headlight so i got a bottle of Meguiar's "Plastix" clear plastic cleaner which took care of that totally....now my headlights look like brand new....When using "plastix" be sure to use two seperate terry cloths (one to apply product and one to buff it after)..be sure to use it on a cool headlight in the shade like directions say...You will be pleasently surprised......
Erik

P.s...If you haven't used Eagle One "tire and wheel cleaner" i highly recommend it for cleaning tires and wheels.....the stuff is awesome!!!

I myself use many cleaners/polishes on my ride...they are....in order of use.....Westly's "bleche white" with a scrub brush to clean the white letters (Firehawks), Eagle One wheel and tire cleaner for cleaning the rims and tires, Black magic "tire wet" for that unbeatable shine, Meguiar's Speed detailer for the paint, Eagle One 20/20 window cleaner (safe for tint), Mother's "back to black" for the black trim i.e. B-pillar molding/cowl and wipers, Meguiar's "plastix" for the headlights.....and then on to the interior.....where i use Black Magic 2 in 1 leather care for the seats, Armor all "cleaning wipes" for the dash and door panels. I think that just about covers my detailing routine.....after everything's done the Cougar is Beautiful!!! It usually takes me a couple hours to do everything...and i do it pretty much every weekend....Oh yeah.....can't forget Rain X for the windshield!!:D

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Pics?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry.....I don't have the means to do so....or i sure would have. The differance is like night and day....They are perfectly clear/clean now...Went for a short drive a little while ago and the lights work so much better now! Now all i need to do is upgrade my bulbs to some Silverstars..
Erik

....If your headlights are yellow....try it...you'll need a bottle of Eagle One "tire and wheel cleaner", a bottle of Meguiar's "plastix", and two terry cloths...$15.00 should cover it...You'll want to be washing your car at the time you spray the headlights so you can rinse them off....I thought it was pretty neat seeing the yellow washing away....

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
i'm going to try it because my head lights are HORRIBLE

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
....Let me know how it turns out....I took my car to the pressure washer to do the cleaning.....i just sprayed the cleaner on the headlights and rinsed until there wasn't anymore yellow running off the headlights....(about 2-3 sprays)....then i polished them with Meguiar's "plastix" and buffed it out with a clean terry cloth...You won't believe it!!
Erik

·
Registered
189 Posts
On my girlfreinds jeep the headlights were bad!!! so i figured that since they look clear when i wipe them with a wet rag I would wet sand them then clearcoat them......WOW WHAT A DIFFERANCE ...... i should put some weird sticker on cans of clearcoat and sell them for 30.00 a peice as special headlight restorer!!!!!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
EPelezo said:
i'm going to try it because my head lights are HORRIBLE

....I was just looking at your headlight pic on your CarDomain site.....Yikes!....dirty indeed.:D

.....If/When you do this it would be pretty cool if you could post before and after pics...i think your car would be perfect for them.

Erik

·
Registered
19 Posts
Meguiar's "Plastix" is a well known finishing trick for yellowed and etched headlights.

Thanks for the heads up on the Eagle One. That may save us a step.

·
Registered
21 Posts
got yellow headlights

I tried it and it works really well i was shocked! The yellow just fell off with the foam tire and wheel cleaner.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
....My paint around the headlights is fine.:) Looks just as good as ever....The wheel cleaner is safe for painted wheels so.....i figured it would be o.k...it's not like i'm really spraying the stuff all over the car...
Erik

.....****I'm not saying to just go take ANY wheel cleaner and spray it on your headlights!!!! I'm just saying ONLY Eagle One "All tire and wheel cleaner" worked REALLY well for me and will for you too....Eagle One's "All Wheel and Tire" cleaner is safe for use on painted wheels....while others might not be and may damage your paint!!!********...The stuff i'm talkin' about comes in a bright orange bottle that's see through....and says "All Tire and Wheel Cleaner" on it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
....I did this cleaning about a month ago and was very pleased with the results but didn't post anything about it 'till now so i could have some time to see if there were any problems from it........and there were none....so i posted.
Erik

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry, if you thought I was flaming you. That was not my intent. SOME people don't read directions...you obviously did. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts