TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
man just when i'm taking it easy with my car, after the rebuilt tranny installed.. i'm driving bout 35mph listening to some tunes, all of a sudden i see the tach shoot up to 5K..i quickly lower the stereo and i hear my passenger rear tire just grabbing traction.

i turn around and see what the hell it was in the street...looks like someones oil filter was loose and dripped about a good 50ft. i look at my bumper, and oil splattered all over the side of the bumper...I JUST WASHED HER...

btw i always leave traction assist off...i think i'm gonna leave it on now.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I dont think i completely understand what happened? you didnt give it much gas and it spun the tires and went to 5k rpm? hmmmmm

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah pretty much, but it was only the passenger rear tire spinning on the oil spil. my foot was on the gas accelerating from 35 to like 45.

just like when you hit a black ice patch with one rear wheel..and it spins but you stay straight...if it was a solid rear i'd fish tail more.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
snow said:
yeah pretty much, but it was only the passenger rear tire spinning on the oil spil. my foot was on the gas accelerating from 35 to like 45.

just like when you hit a black ice patch with one rear wheel..and it spins but you stay straight...if it was a solid rear i'd fish tail more.

I beg to differ that. If you have an open rear end the one tire is going to spin faster than the other making the rear end spin out or kick out that way. If you have trac lock rear both wheels are going to be spinning the same in a straight line. You might fishtail with trac lock but you wont as bad as an open rear end. I actually had this happen to me the other day with my open rear end

-Matt-

·
Registered
190 Posts
Open rears are extremely unpredictable, especially compared to a trak lok. With the open, your not sure of when the car is going to kick out and when it does its not when you expect it. With the traklok its the exact opposite. You almost know exactly when its going to kick out, given that the tires might not be spinning at the same speed, they are both spinning, giving you more control or at least the availability to control it better.

jOe

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
MattsLE97 said:
I beg to differ that. If you have an open rear end the one tire is going to spin faster than the other making the rear end spin out or kick out that way. If you have trac lock rear both wheels are going to be spinning the same in a straight line. You might fishtail with trac lock but you wont as bad as an open rear end. I actually had this happen to me the other day with my open rear end

-Matt-
I beg to differ that. :)
Having owned an open 7.5 in my '86, a Trac-Lok 8.8 in my '88, and the Trac-Lok 8.8 in my '96, I think I have a good amount of knowledge when it comes to hanging the tail end out around turns.
With a Trak-Lok rear, the car will drift to the slightest inclination, such as a gentle crown of the road. It happens MUCH more often than with an open rear end.
I recall driving in the rain in my '86 back in high school. The only way to hang the rear end out was around a left-hand turn. That way, the right tire had the tendency to spin first. This proves your point, but the Trac-Lok rear is still much more likely to make the car "fishtail".
:cool:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
cougarcragar said:
I beg to differ that. :)
Having owned an open 7.5 in my '86, a Trac-Lok 8.8 in my '88, and the Trac-Lok 8.8 in my '96, I think I have a good amount of knowledge when it comes to hanging the tail end out around turns.With a Trak-Lok rear, the car will drift to the slightest inclination, such as a gentle crown of the road. It happens MUCH more often than with an open rear end.
I recall driving in the rain in my '86 back in high school. The only way to hang the rear end out was around a left-hand turn. That way, the right tire had the tendency to spin first. This proves your point, but the Trac-Lok rear is still much more likely to make the car "fishtail".
:cool:

when making a turn an open and trac lock are the doing the same thing. actually the trac lock would be a bit less resistant to want to turn than an open rear end thats why it would less effective in a turn. Were talking about a straight line that the trac lock is much better and less likely to fishtail. From a take off in a straight line in 6 inches of snow i would take trac lock over an open rear anyday. Ya any rear wheel drive car is gonna fish tail on a turn if you give it any thats pretty much a given.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts