TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get home and check my only message on my answering machine:

".... .... *click* Yes, may I speak with Mr. Har-Harrarmdolkeised? ... ... *click* 'End of Messages.'"

Besides not even making an effort to pronounce my last name correctly, the dumb guy doesn't even pay enough attention to realize that the machine answered the phone!!! Sheesh!

PJ

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
PJ-4.2L said:
the dumb guy doesn't even pay enough attention to realize that the machine answered the phone!!! Sheesh!
They have these things called pre-dialers, if you would have been there and picked up the phone you would have been greeted by silence, a beep, or a recording "please wait for our next availiable representative."

What happens is the phone system estimates the time it will take for a person to get off a call and start a call just before that so usually they get right off one call to the next without wasting time dialing.

That is what the "Tele-zappers" do, detect these types of calls and hang up immediately.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Ok PJ, I'll bite. What is your last name? Also, give us a phonetic spelling so we'll know how bad they screwed it up. :D

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Shadow, how do those products "erase" our number from their databases?

SW, my last name is Hradilek (silent H).

PJ

·
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.
1,267 Posts
I gotta say they do have balls though, I mean to call us and then tell us to wait for them, I can't handle it, one called today, and for an important reason my moms name is sherry(44), me 18, and asked if sherry's mom or dad was available, I said yeah and hung up. Mostly now when they ask I say yeah, will you please hold while I hang up the phone.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Nah I like to pretend I'm interested and have them explain every detail over and over then tell them sorry I don't want it and hang up. It's entertaining.

·
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.
1,267 Posts
Turbo Cat, that is great, my dad did that once to a window salesman a couple years back, had the guy give him the full pitch, then he was like, sorry, we just had new windows put in.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
TurboCat said:
Nah I like to pretend I'm interested and have them explain every detail over and over then tell them sorry I don't want it and hang up. It's entertaining.
if i have time ill let them go through their speal and then ill tell them to give me their home number so that i can contact them when im ready. they usually give the uhh, umm, uhh, click.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Nice.

I started doing a telemarketing job as a second job to help me pay off bills and save money (better than being a bum and living off the government, right?) but I actually offer something some people need. I work for a national lending agency and offer folks a free mortgage evaluation to see if we can get them a better intrest rate or consolidate bills or something like that. I too get aggravated with telemarketers but I feel good doing my job in th eevenings because I help people save thousands of dollars some times. I mean when you can take someone from 13% down to 6% or even 7%, they will save a bunch of money. Of couse, I do get the people who yell and cuss and that's not cool. I know my call is unsolicited, but it's not like I'm selling something worthless.
Please take it easy on the telemarketers, they are at least trying to earn money. They are willing to put themselves through a job NO ONE wants and put up with people who are mean to them just to pay the bills. I appreciate it when people say "No thanks, please put me on your Do not call list." That is polite and to the point.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
PJ-4.2L said:
Hey Shadow, how do those products "erase" our number from their databases?
Supposedly it sends a tone that is the same as the one you will hear when you call a number that has been disconnected.

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Fun one is to tell them your are very intrested and would buy whatever they are selling if they sing for you... tell em to sing something like twinkle twinkle little star.... LoL it can be intresting.

later,
jay

·
One And Only!
1,712 Posts
how about my last name?
C R N O J E V I C
lol:rolleyes:
they love to pronounce that name hehhe
i use my favorite
:tongue: SORRY ME SPEAK NO ENGLISH :tongue:
in the biggest forein accent and then HANG UP !
do they call back FUK NO :ztoohot:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
lol, before my grandfather passed away (R.I.P.) he used to mess with those kind of people all the time. When a telemarketer would call, he'd take up like an hour of their time only to tell them that he wasn't intrested, hahaha. My grandmother told me that when the Jahova's (sp) Whitnesses would come around... he'd invite them in and spend hours debating with them on just about evrything... asking them all kinds of questions and just to tell them that he had no intention of converting to their religion hahaha. He was a funny guy and from what I was told, they would skip my grandparents house after being hastled by him for so long. well, he seen this and would stick his head out the door and call them over to have a soda as they were walking by, lol. As for me, I just hang up on them as soon as I hear.... "hi, I'm ___ from ___ and was wondering if you'd be intrested in..."

-Steve

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I just start asking really personal questions, always interrupting them. Most get flustered and hang up.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Missouri passed legislation last year pretty much bannin telemarketing. You call some number and have them put ur name and number down and then no companys can legally call u. Unless they are non-profit. I love it. I never have to here another dumbass pronounce my last name hahagan. (Hanigan - HanMan)

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
I like asking how long the company been in business.. or how long this product has been offered, and then they say there a telmarketing firm, then i start asking how long he has been working there, and how longs it been in business, and then ask him how much they make, and if they would like a better job, then i make up some company, some fake number, and some guys name, tell them to contact them, only if he tells his immiadiate supervisor that he quits (and i must confirm it with them over the phone)..

haha.. morons.

also, at work, when people call to sell me something.. my new line is "We do that in house."

and then we get the "marketing people just asking surveys" i go "How do i not know your not a hacker/theif trying to determine my network configuration and the number of machines i have so you can break in and jack all my stuff?" they hang up pretty quick after then

Telco Sales? Just get stuck in an endless mase i setup on the automated system..

Don't bother me.. i am busy .. ;o) IF I want something.. I WILL CALL YOU!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Watch what you say.
I once really screwed with one.
"Hey can you help me. Man i'm screwed. I got blood all over the place!"
Caller:"Pardon me sir."
Me:"Do you know how to get blood out of carpeting?"
Caller:"Are you ok sir?"
Me: "I'm fine, Hey If you shoot a guy in your house that"s legal, right?"
Caller:"Click"
I thought that was sooo funny.
The tele-marketer had my number and phoned the Police in my area and, DAMN.
Wall to wall cops! man, I mean in seconds.

They did'nt find it funny; at first.

After that I just Insult there; moms, girlfriends, ETC...
Fuel man~~~

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here's a good one, in your best creepy voice, ask them what they are wearing. If they answer and ask you the same, tell them nothing. Or try my personal favorite, act like you're really drunk and yell at the kids the whole time. Call the kids obscene names and tell them how stupid they are and how they were mistakes. And as a bonus, if you really do have kids, tone the language down a bit and have them participate. Get em to cry and scream so that the person on the other end can hear them. It's fun for the whole family.
GUN

1 - 20 of 23 Posts