TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do u take the governor out, besides chip right know dont have enough money for it right have to buy a winter vehicle

·
Registered
401 Posts
it's electronically governed, u can't physically 'take it out'

·
Registered
254 Posts
One thing to try nobody knows what will happen is to find the resistance of your speed sensor and wire a cut off switch into it set at just before the limiter that will trick your car into think its going 110 or so but you will actually be going faster. All that I would think happen is the comp would think that your trans is slipping and take appropriate actions given that situation. No guarentees but if this works it would be cool.

Do this at your own risk and please don't flame me for it. this would be the only way to fix the limiter other than a chip.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
That might work. I would say if your driveline has been upgraded from stock, then go for it. If not, then it's just a matter of time before something will give out, be it the TC, the driveshaft or whatever. Never tested the limits of a stock drivetrain myself.

Jay

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
ncoop23 said:
One thing to try nobody knows what will happen is to find the resistance of your speed sensor and wire a cut off switch into it set at just before the limiter that will trick your car into think its going 110 or so but you will actually be going faster. All that I would think happen is the comp would think that your trans is slipping and take appropriate actions given that situation. No guarentees but if this works it would be cool.

Do this at your own risk and please don't flame me for it. this would be the only way to fix the limiter other than a chip.

i would definately not recommend doing that.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I used to have a slight vibration @ 100 mph after installing a balanced 1pc steel driveshaft with the 3.73 gears. Old diff bushings and broken rear diff mount in my car [all looked good when the diff was installed]. Now the vibration is scary over 100 mph. The rear seal is leaking on the trans from the wallowed bushing.

Just testing the new Mustang computer one day I got the car to 120 mph on an open road. Scared the crap out of me! The vibration was so bad I had to look at the u-joints to see if they were loose. Now I have a beefed up MarkVIII subframe and aluminum driveshaft to install.

So yeah, no point in bypassing the speed limiter until you brace the diff, get new poly diff bushings, and a new 1 pc aluminum driveshaft. By that time a chip is pocket change.

You might even drop to second gear with the 4r70-w when the switch is flipped:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
ncoop23 said:

Wouldn't that make your speedometer be way off?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
Wouldn't that make your speedometer be way off?
Also ain't the Speedo/output shaft speed sensor a Hall effect (read: Pulse) kinda sensor?? So adding a resistor, ect will not do anything??

i had my '91 to 130mph... was good and smooth.. But perfer not to go there again.. the '96 I don't think i've hit 90MPH yet :)

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
91 XR7 said:
Also ain't the Speedo/output shaft speed sensor a Hall effect (read: Pulse) kinda sensor?? So adding a resistor, ect will not do anything??
I really have no idea. in that case if you resistor it too low you might not get any usuable signal at all.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I think the diff mount and bushings are the main factor in bad vibes. Mine was fine after shimming the factory bushings. They have been abused too much.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Once you get used to the car you'll be able to determine what part is causing the vibe, I knew what speed my old tires were starting to protest, and at what speed the driveshaft started looping wider.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Idk how the snesor works but it shouldn't be that hard to make a signal generator box if it is a hall efect sensor. And the stock speedo only goes to 120 anyway so if you flick the switch it will make your car think you are going 110 or whatever you have it set to but your rpms will be higher.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts