TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice leak around tire today and was rear wheel seal/bearing. Question is the is a groove where the bearing contacts the axle shaft I'd say ~.010" the exact width of the bearings is this acceptable? This is my first solid axle I've torn into so don't know what should expect to see.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
What year GM? The 03/04 cars were know for having issues with soft axels.

-Miller

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
No any wear were the bearing rides is very bad

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
There are saver bearings that move the contact to another part of the axle, but if it is an 03/04 as stated they had lots of issues.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a 94, so got to get the other bearing and find the fill out on the diff.

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
...the is a groove where the bearing contacts the axle shaft I'd say ~.010" the exact width of the bearings is this acceptable?.
If it breaks, it will break right there.

A curb, pothole... Imagine it leaving, and how hard that can be to deal with. :eek:

You're there; what's an axle cost from a jy?

I'd swap it if at all possible, just to be sure.

Just my 2c. :)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plan is if it continues to leak I'll get a replacement axle and use the OEM bearing/seal. Until then well give this repair bearing unit a try.

Understand its a failure point but I honestly believe the diff will/would fail first.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
those axles will break ive seen that before, just buy a new axle there like 100 bucks tops, thats dirt cheap n my book, if it breaks u are getting a tow truck and that will prolly cost over 100 bucks right there plus any other damage plus if your rolling wheel hits another car u have spent even more

Robert

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have used repair bearings in the past with zero failures. Of course none of the axles I saw were scary ground into, just pitted or barely grooved.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
when there is aready wear there thats scary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts