TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the proccess of gravity bleeding my T-bird.

What does it mean when fluid stops flowing?
Was dripping and emptying fine then it just stopped flowing and now its just sitting there.
I know gravity is still working because the car is still on the ground.
So what gives?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I thought that gravity bleeding was supposed to be for cars with anti-lock braking systems. That is what i read in an article on brake bleeding cars with abs systems. On a regular car you can do it the conventional way. What i want to know is what is the procedure for this gravity bleed process.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did it to make SURE that I was getting it all.

This is how I did it.

I bought one small bottle of brake fluid and two large.
I put the whole car up on cinderblocks (jack stands are better, a lift is reccomended)
and pulled off all four wheels. Then I opened all 4 bleeder valves and allowed the system to flow. I then placed the one small bottle of fluid upside down into the resivoir opening.
I placed styrofoam cups under each wheel to prevent spillage onto the ground.

I then filled another small bottle that I had from previous attempts back up with fluid from the larger bottles.
When the first bottle was empty I swaped out the sencond and refilled the first again.
I let most of the fluid flow through, then I closed off the front wheels.
My rear wheels didn't want to flow too well so I left them open and allowed one more quart through before I closed them.

And presto. As long as you make sure the resivoir stays full then your brake lines will be full of brand new fluid and absolutely no air.

I warn you though, if your resivior is really cruddy, you will ruin your master cylinder doing this. I'd reccomend removing and cleaning it before I tried this, or the crap that's in it will get into your master cylinder and burr up the walls, rendering it useless.

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
I have a vacuum bleeder but when i do gravity bleeding i do the fronts first and then rears . Dont worry about the fluid stoping i see that happen some times i have to remove the screws and clean em , maybe something was stuck.

Jurgen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts