TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have yet top try any of these.. but i will as soon as i decide to rip my door panel off for painting... but it seems nice enough!

http://www.bonediggers.com/1-3/strip/strip.html

i know that a lot of us have been vexed as to what will take the rubbery crap off of our dash... i never considered brake fluid...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
maybe this could have saved me a lot of trouble... hmm.. i think a repaint might be in order!!!

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0 AWD
7,557 Posts
Mix that break fluid and some pool cleaner... Ya, just try it outside in the country. LOTS of smoke.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol. that sounds dangerous. not indenfding to crate volatile compunds... just figuring out how to get the damn rubber crap off the dash pieces...

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0 AWD
7,557 Posts
Just be careful you don't accidentally mix it with something else that could cause a reaction.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol. if any of this works.. rubber removal and painting might be pretty lucrative.... just need to get a grav feed gun.. and a huge ass compressor.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
hmmm I have wanted to strip the rubber with out sanding so I dont scratch the plastic underneith. I have thought of painting my dash trim peices but I cant decide on a color to go with the beige interior.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
maybe gloss black... or dark green. what color is your car?

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Haha... use any of that stuff, and watch the rubber, AND the plastic melt right away.

-Joel

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
joel.. did you READ the article? he used it on MODEL CARS.... i wouldnt think it would melt the abs plastic on our cars.. if anything it would be the styrene plastic on those models... i think the guy knows what he is doing.. i will be able to verify these methods in the next few days... so.. yeah.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
joel.. did you READ the article? he used it on MODEL CARS.... i wouldnt think it would melt the abs plastic on our cars.. if anything it would be the styrene plastic on those models... i think the guy knows what he is doing.. i will be able to verify these methods in the next few days... so.. yeah.
Well, I've been trying for years and havent found something that doesnt mess with the plastic too. The only thing that worked for me was a long time with a 1500 psi pressure washer. Go ahead and try it. I'll say I told ya so.

-Joel

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
will let you know in a couple days....

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
lol its dark green exterior but im not a fan of the green on the inside. I was thinking of black but then I would have to repaint the vents as well but I guess that's not to big a deal, maybe even just paint the drivers side vents to match the trim and leave the passanger side to match the dash. Time to play with photoshop lol.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
actually i painted the grille part of my vents on the drivers side silver... i think a really dark metallic green would do nice... or a pearlescent green... lots of acrylic lacquer on top... do the vents and knobs in silver... or a gold-ish color... would turn out pretty nice... disassemble and clean the vents.. then just paint the vertical parts before reassembly... and make sure to use a light primer when you do that metallic... makes it stand out more.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Gonna have to try the Super Clean method myself. I've used it before but never to take paint off of plastic. I've got some super clean right here. Now what to test it on. I will say from back in the days when I did model and needed to strip them just as that guy did we used PineSol stright. Let it sit over night and damn back to a fresh model to build.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok. the brake fluid method works.. not melting plastic (joel) and a nice etched finish when youre done. i am considering doing this on the side for whoever might need this.. i can prep and prime.. and paint too... maybe 25 bucks plus shipping one way for prep and prime.. and 45 for paint and the whole shebang? or i can prolly do just prep work.. no priming, sanding.. nothing.. for like 15-20 bucks... this is all of the panels of course....

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Etching means it messed with the plastic... not good. I'll try some things from the list on the weekend and see if I like any of it. Good find on the thread... I guess.;)

-Joel

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no the etching was very light.. first coat of primer went on smooth. no scratches. i will have the panel finished tomorrow.

im pimp, and youre just jealous joel.... lmfao.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
What the crap did you have left to paint?!

-Joel

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol. i still had my door switch panel to do. shouldve read ALL my posts.. lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.