·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
That was an ignorant title.

Anyways, the posted speed limit is already the "maximum speed" .. some police officers I have talked to generally wont mess with you if you're within 3-5 mph of the limit. It just gives them an easy excuse to pull you over if theyve already started to profile you and check you out. Yeah its not legal, but it goes with the job. Dont start making up excuses for mechanical failure either, unless you want a fix-it ticket also.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
That was an ignorant title.

Anyways, the posted speed limit is already the "maximum speed" .. some police officers I have talked to generally wont mess with you if you're within 3-5 mph of the limit. It just gives them an easy excuse to pull you over if theyve already started to profile you and check you out. Yeah its not legal, but it goes with the job. Dont start making up excuses for mechanical failure either, unless you want a fix-it ticket also.
The problem is, there is a significant amount of built in "mechanical error" to any road going vehicle that is not a police cruiser with a calibrated speedometer. For example, you could get, stock from the factory on 96 and 97 Thunderbirds either a 215/70/15 or 225/60/16 tire. The 225/60/16 is smaller in diameter than the 15" tire, so let's say your speedo is accurate with the 16" tire, when running the 15" as a snow tire, you're going 60.6mph at an indicated 60. It's a factory sized tire, it's correct for the car, but your officer can round that up to 61.

Never mind that vehicle speeds are generally considered "close enough" if they're within a few percentage of indicated speed, especially on older cars that use gears to determine speed. It is absolute idiocy to ticket drivers for going 1mph more than the posted limit.

Yes, I understand it's the "maximum" so you should drive below it. I disagree. By posting a limit, most will drive AT that limit. To ticket people for going 1mph over, whether it be on a downhill slope, or if your speedo is mildly inaccurate, or whatever, it's just indicating that they want more of your money, and they're making you a criminal for something very petty.

I think the state could make much more money for actually ticketing drivers who hog the passing lane, depart their lane on a regular basis, obstruct traffic, and do bad things like "brake checking", all of which are dramatically more dangerous than going one or two mph over the posted limit.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The reason most cops don't ticket you for less than 10 over is its not worth the effort. Will end up write a $20-$50 ticket for $100 worth of time and effort (filing and process).

Though I see no problem a zero tolerance on speeding, I grew up a Army brat. MPs will give you a ticket for 1mph over, so guess what everyone does no more than the posted speed limit on Post.

·
Super Moderator
16,747 Posts
**** the police, sorry I'm just a plain brat:D

To play devils advocate though, I have never ever encountered a car in my life whose speedometer reads SLOWER than actual speed. It's generally acceptable error to read fast to limit manufacturer liability in these instances, if you're putting on wrong sized tires to throw it off that's purely on the owner.

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
Meh, it's another "elevated enforcement" campaign that's intended to get people to slow down simply by putting it in the news. I expect that the net effect on the numbers of tickets written beyond what's normally written will be zero.

The reason most cops don't ticket you for less than 10 over is its not worth the effort. Will end up write a $20-$50 ticket for $100 worth of time and effort (filing and process).

Though I see no problem a zero tolerance on speeding, I grew up a Army brat. MPs will give you a ticket for 1mph over, so guess what everyone does no more than the posted speed limit on Post.
I was an MP once and it used to piss me off to see other MP's doing **** like writing people up for 1 MPH over. I'm sorry your post had to deal with that kind of bullshit. Power trippin' idiots like that are why I got out of law enforcement. I didn't want to be associated with their ilk.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
While at Ft Carson my dad was stopped for 2mph after his Col. ordered him to hurry up. The MP and the Col. hashed it out an my dad got nothing. Not the only Post I've seen/heard of it. I normally am speeding, but when I go on to any Post I do the speed limit.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
What's ironic is the OP is from VA, one of the strictest states around!

No radar detectors allowed, the infamous "cut thru's" every two miles on the interstates for cops to sit, and God forbid you should drive on a "rural" hwy. Every time you go around a blind curve, you're paranoid there will be a Sheriff sitting there, and there usually is!

Al

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
While at Ft Carson my dad was stopped for 2mph after his Col. ordered him to hurry up. The MP and the Col. hashed it out an my dad got nothing. Not the only Post I've seen/heard of it. I normally am speeding, but when I go on to any Post I do the speed limit.
My attitude on speed is that in neighborhoods, city streets, and small towns I drive at the posted limit or with surrounding traffic. Neighborhoods are always at posted limit and I am more attentive of children, pets, etc.

On rural roads/highways, anything with a speed limit over 30mph I tend to do about 5mph over and have yet to get pulled over for it.

If it's raining/snowing/foggy I drive as conditions permit. And I use my headlights (hate seeing morons with no lights in inclement weather).

As I said in another post, I grew up thinking 90 on the freeway during the morning and evening rush was normal. Now the place where I live, people are extremely passive agressive and will speed up/slow down to block you from passing whether on the freeway running through town or on a two lane blacktop. They are far more dangerous than doing 5-10mph over the limit, and should be ticketed for blocking faster traffic (they tend to do 45 in 55 zones until you try to pass, then they gun it as you pass, this is where 3.73:1 gears is handy).

There are in my opinion so many more dangerous things the police should be worrying about on the road vs a minor speed violation. If you're doing 20-30 over the limit, yes that is dangerous and should be ticketed. If you're doing 5 or so over, not tailgating, not swerving, and essentially moving with traffic or slightly faster, but causing no fuss(passing on the left for example), I don't see the issue, and think things like ticketing for 1mph is just plain petty.

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
Forgetting about speetometer accuracy, a 1mph over ticket is a waste of everyone's time, since the radar guns are only accurate to within 2-3mph. Basically they are just hoping that someone will either pay it to not have to spend a day in court, or plead it down to some non-moving violation when they get to court so they can grab a few bucks plus court fees. There is no way that any 1mph over the limit speeding ticket could hold up in court. If they really do start writing those tickets, if enough people fight them, they will stop, since it will wind up being a waste of time for the police and the courts. Really the reason for the 5-10mph buffer zone is not by some kind of design or implicit understanding, it is just that it isn't worth their time to bother people for that, since 90% of the time, there will be someone coming past the cop in the next 10 minutes doing 15-20 over the limit, so if he stops the guy doing 5 over, he'll likely miss the guy doing 20 over while he is writing the ticket.

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts

There are in my opinion so many more dangerous things the police should be worrying about on the road vs a minor speed violation. If you're doing 20-30 over the limit, yes that is dangerous and should be ticketed. If you're doing 5 or so over, not tailgating, not swerving, and essentially moving with traffic or slightly faster, but causing no fuss(passing on the left for example), I don't see the issue, and think things like ticketing for 1mph is just plain petty.
This. :rolleyes: Like I said, in a nutshell, cops have better things to do than write speeding tickets for 1 to 9 MPH over the limit ... Like writing tint tickets in the communist ... I mean commonwealth state to the north for example. :cool2:

Forgetting about speedometer accuracy, a 1mph over ticket is a waste of everyone's time, since the radar guns are only accurate to within 2-3mph. Basically they are just hoping that someone will either pay it to not have to spend a day in court, or plead it down to some non-moving violation when they get to court so they can grab a few bucks plus court fees. There is no way that any 1mph over the limit speeding ticket could hold up in court. If they really do start writing those tickets, if enough people fight them, they will stop, since it will wind up being a waste of time for the police and the courts. Really the reason for the 5-10mph buffer zone is not by some kind of design or implicit understanding, it is just that it isn't worth their time to bother people for that, since 90% of the time, there will be someone coming past the cop in the next 10 minutes doing 15-20 over the limit, so if he stops the guy doing 5 over, he'll likely miss the guy doing 20 over while he is writing the ticket.
The net effect of this nonsense is zero. Except to raise awareness of speeding enforcement and instill fear in the driving public. I really don't see more tickets being written as a result of this "public service message".

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's ironic is the OP is from VA, one of the strictest states around!

No radar detectors allowed, the infamous "cut thru's" every two miles on the interstates for cops to sit, and God forbid you should drive on a "rural" hwy. Every time you go around a blind curve, you're paranoid there will be a Sheriff sitting there, and there usually is!

Al
Yes I am from VA, I drive all the time on I-64 and I-95 doing 7 over past state troopers all day, never once had an issue. In our state anything 80+ is auto-wreckless, so they are more concerned about those who are a serious danger to others, not 1-9mph over...

·
Registered
241 Posts
lawyers will have a field day with those cases. Oops my speedo isn't calibrated, oops human error, oops my cruise control is off a bit. One mile an hour over tickets? Absolutely absurd.
I'm not sure how the traffic laws are down there, but up here any speeding is considered an 'absolute' liability. Basically, you're responsible for going over the speed limit, no matter what - speedometer error, coasting down a hill, failed brakes, being chased by a psycho with an AK, etc. you're still guilty. If it's proven that you were over the speed limit, you've got no defense. It's either radar calibration/error, mistaken identity, or constitutional issues at that point.

I suspect the laws are similar in most states, so there won't really be any speedo error, etc. defenses being successful.

But either way, speed laws are getting dumber and dumber.

How about criminalizing texting while driving? It's the leading cause of traffic deaths now (yes more than DUI's) that'd be much more productive.

Oh wait....it won't generate revenue for cash strapped government coffers. How could I forget. >:)

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
How about criminalizing texting while driving? It's the leading cause of traffic deaths now (yes more than DUI's) that'd be much more productive.

Oh wait....it won't generate revenue for cash strapped government coffers. How could I forget. >:)

Its illegal to text and drive here. I thought the tickets were around $200. Driving in the car pool lane will get you a minimum fine of $400 or more.

The speedo in a police cruiser is calibrated the same as any other car from the factory. Comparing tire sizes on a 20 year old car .. you might as well compensate for tread wear LOL even though the EEC-V PCM can adjust for changes to the rear axle ratio .. tire size is not that big of an issue.

Like I said, I dont think the point is to actually give tickets .. its just a reason to look for other criminal activities.

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
I'm not sure how the traffic laws are down there, but up here any speeding is considered an 'absolute' liability. Basically, you're responsible for going over the speed limit, no matter what - speedometer error, coasting down a hill, failed brakes, being chased by a psycho with an AK, etc. you're still guilty. If it's proven that you were over the speed limit, you've got no defense. It's either radar calibration/error, mistaken identity, or constitutional issues at that point.

I suspect the laws are similar in most states, so there won't really be any speedo error, etc. defenses being successful.

But either way, speed laws are getting dumber and dumber.

Speeding laws (and enforcement) vary drastically from state to state. Without looking it up, I'm near certain that texting while driving is universally illegal in the states. But enforcement of no texting while driving is near impossible.

Speaking on the phone while driving in New York is also illegal (You must use a hands free device - i.e. Bluetooth sync the phone to the car or use a Bluetooth headset.

But yes, like you said 90+% of speeding enforcement is not about safety but revenue generation and of course fishing for "other criminal activity" whatever form that may take ...

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I got a ticket in VA for doing 10 miles over the limit which turned out to be a year long ordeal and about $1500.00 in fines and lawyers to keep it from being a class 1 Misdemeanor (Criminal charge). I was told that it was due to the high death rate in speed related accidents! I almost lost it!

I was like "If that was the reason for the criminal charge it should be posted at every speed sign to warn people, not to hide in the bushes and catch someone who you apparently feel is a great threat to human life!"

What made me really mad is I was in a group of 4 other cars going the same speed and not even looking at the speedo, the difference was I had NJ plates!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Like TM said this is just a PSA. Speeding does not kill, I have yet to find the magical speed that my car will just automatically wreck and kill me (and have done 3-4x the posted speed limit--still didn't happen). Couple things though, 1) I like most people here maintain my car and know what to expect from it, 2) Took a several week Defense Driving course 3) Spent time in W. Germany (4yrs) exposed to 100mph minimums and drivers capable for driving.

As for laws in GA only State Troopers can write a ticket for less than 10mph, and all cops must use a speed detection device that is calibrated daily, be visible for 500', and at night have lights on (all of this came for the speed traps GA had in 70s down I-75). So I grew up real simple if/when I get a ticket--I was speeding--and pay it end of story.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts

Its illegal to text and drive here. I thought the tickets were around $200. Driving in the car pool lane will get you a minimum fine of $400 or more.
Here in CA, a first offense texting and driving ticket is $148. A second offense is $256, and don't forget the surcharges and other fees that are incurred on each offense. So that first time ticket can easily go as high as $300.

I'm not sure about you up there in NorCal, but driving illegally in the carpool lane here in SoCal the minimum fine for a ticket varies depending on the area anywhere from $381 to close to $500. Although, these same signs that tell you the cost amount will also say "Minimum Fine" below the dollar amount.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Like TM said this is just a PSA. Speeding does not kill, I have yet to find the magical speed that my car will just automatically wreck and kill me (and have done 3-4x the posted speed limit--still didn't happen). Couple things though, 1) I like most people here maintain my car and know what to expect from it, 2) Took a several week Defense Driving course 3) Spent time in W. Germany (4yrs) exposed to 100mph minimums and drivers capable for driving.

As for laws in GA only State Troopers can write a ticket for less than 10mph, and all cops must use a speed detection device that is calibrated daily, be visible for 500', and at night have lights on (all of this came for the speed traps GA had in 70s down I-75). So I grew up real simple if/when I get a ticket--I was speeding--and pay it end of story.
The state I live in (Minnesota) and the state I work in (Wisconsin) have started using unmarked Chargers and Explorers for traffic duty.
I don't speed excessively, but I like your state's law about speed traps much better than what we have up here. Let's drive around in stealth mode and "gotcha".

Proves it's all about making money.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts