TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We pulled out the Autolite platnums after a couple of years. They were the AP 2544s. One range colder than stock replacement. They didn't look right. I'm a bit color blind, but my friend, Doug, said they looked kind of green and thought the back four cylinders were running kind of lean. No CELs, and I looked.

I have no coolant missing.

The only thing was I ran a 30% E85 mix for several tanks from the fall.

Any Ideas? Doug thought maybe my EGR was not functioning right or I forgot which sensor might need to be replaced.

I regularly clean the MAF and K&N panel filter.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Generally when they are an odd color it is due to the additives in the fuel, and I could see running higher than 10% ethanol causing it.

·
Banned
287 Posts
Generally when they are an odd color it is due to the additives in the fuel, and I could see running higher than 10% ethanol causing it.
That's interesting to hear that. Does anyone know of a gas station/company in Houston that sells their gas without the ethanol additive? I'm willing to drive outside of Houston if that's what it takes to get some gas without some damn corn in it..... :mad:

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kris,

What's the matter, don't you like your car drunk?

What I did was put 4 gallons of E85 in a couple of tanks of gas. I ususally run E10 (Ethanol) without problem.

I switched to copper plugs to see if that makes a difference.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rod, unfortunately, the Parts Bin Special is a daily driver. It never sees Stabil.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
You weren't running pure E85 but a mix of 4 gallons of of E85 to a tank that was otherwise full of gas? Is that correct? Was the regular gas Ethanol Blend (E10) or straight gas?

Assuming 17 gallon tank (I think that's what all the T-birds have right?) 4 gallons of E85 in a tank of normal gas would be 20% ethanol. 4 gallons of E85 in a tank of E10 would be 28% Ethanol. Either way, stoic for E85 is 9.8:1 compared to 14.7:1 of normal gas. E10 isn't enough to make you run lean because the car would run a bit rich from the factory anyway. But E20 or E28 or how ever much higher Ethanol content whatever you were running if you didn't have a full tank could be enough to cause a bit of a lean condition.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The stations here in New Mexico (that I know of) only use the ethenol during the winter. After spring until late fall it is regular gas.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
It's too late at night to do math again now. But you would still be running between 20-28% Ethanol working it out with a 19 gallon tank instead of 17. Could be enough to make it lean.

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
i think its mold, once i left part of a sandwich under my hood next to the spark plugs and the mold hopped from the sandwich and onto the spark plugs, thus making them green.

I belive i have solved the problem.

course of action:

remove (1) moldy sandwich from your spark plug housing.

No need to thank me. its ok.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Green Tabasco sauce?! Ya, that would be scary! :eek:

I would think any mold would burn up from the heat; unless you left the sandwich there for a LOOOONG time and never started the engine. I think urine kills green mold.

·
Banned
287 Posts
Eh, so what makes spark plugs green??

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hell if I know 95gts. I'm the one with a half worn set of Autolite plugs with green ground straps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts