TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I have a problem or not. As some of you may have read, I've been putting a new shortblock in my car after a nasty encounter with deep water. I was just getting ready to put the motor/transmission in when I decided to pull the transmission pan and give it a quick look.

The fluid I had drained looked good, and the transmission has always shifted ok. But when I pulled the pan the magnet was covered in grey sludge, and there was some lining the bottom of the pan. I don't think thats normal. Any ideas of how much (if any) trouble I may be looking at? I put a new filter in it, cleaned out the pan with brake cleaner, wiped it clean and buttoned it back up. Of course fresh Mercon V is going in as soon as everything is installed and buttoned up.

·
Administrator
8,218 Posts
Sounds normal to me, as long as you don't see metal shavings on the magnet! :beek: Think of taking any pictures? Was it excessive?

Joe

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a matter of fact I did... Aint modern cell phones handY? LOL

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good enough for me. :) thanks for the assurance.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,526 Posts
Yep, I've seen that every time I've dropped the pan (on four different 4R70Ws).

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Its normal even my DD unit I dropped after many many miles shows some of that on the magnet. The fluid is blood red too so you can have that as part of normal wear and tear. Its tiny microscopic shavings.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
agreed. every trans is gonna have a bit of clutch material and metal flakes come off during normal operation, that's why they put that magnet in their. it just collects it so its not floating around and blowing the lip seals or building up in the valve body. as long as you didn't see any large chunks of thrust washers or something lying in the pan, don't worry about it. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts