TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, im getting a grinding sound when i turn my wheel. This has been happening on and off (sometimes pretty bad, sometimes not at all) both when the car is moving and when it is stationary. As i turn the steering wheel, there is this grinding sound. I can hear it but i can also feel it in the steering wheel. Clearly, this is not normal. It just started doing it a couple hundred miles ago. Could this mean that the power steering pump is bad?

And yes, the power steering fluid level is perfectly fine.

Thanks
Chad

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
You say grind. Do you mean whine?

And has it gotten really hard to steer?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Okay, im getting a grinding sound when i turn my wheel. This has been happening on and off (sometimes pretty bad, sometimes not at all) both when the car is moving and when it is stationary. As i turn the steering wheel, there is this grinding sound. I can hear it but i can also feel it in the steering wheel. Clearly, this is not normal. It just started doing it a couple hundred miles ago. Could this mean that the power steering pump is bad?

And yes, the power steering fluid level is perfectly fine.

Thanks
Chad
I assume that you are referring to a whining/grinding sound, which could certainly be the power steering pump. Also, while less likely, you could be having a problem with the steering rack.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, theres actually 2 sounds. there is what i consider to be more of a hissing type sound, although maybe that is what you all are calling whining based on the fact that both of you guys said that. and then the other one is the grinding, and that one is definitely grinding. theres no other way to describe that one. and no, it hasnt gotten any harder to steer. although, my dad drove the car about about a month ago, and commented that it had stiff steering. personally i cant tell, it seems normal to me but maybe thats just because its my daily driver and im used to it.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Well going round and round about this is really kinda silly.

Fords do have some troubles with power steering pumps. However if it has variable assist, the cause could be that too.

I know you said you have fluid. Make darn sure. Use the right stuff. And remove air bubbles.

Rodney

1 - 5 of 5 Posts