TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure I have a bad/not connected ground somewhere but I don't know where they all are. I know of the obvious one from the battery, one from the engine to the frame (down by all the ac stuff), and one in each door (I found that one because the window would work one minute and not the next). Where else should I look for bad/not connected grounds?

I just thought of something else while writing this. I have a snapped wire by the hood hinge on the passenger side. I originally thought it was a wire to get the hood light juice but is it really a grounding wire?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The way I was going to test the grounds was to clamp a test light to the ground and then, with the needle, touch the positive terminal. Is there another way to test the grounds without getting a longer test light?

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Sure. Use an ohmmeter and connect one side to a known good ground. Connect the other side to your suspect ground and take your reading. I like to have my grounds read <0.5 ohms or so, depending on what the ground is used for. If it's a relay or something, I'll let even one ohm go, but if it's say, a signal ground, then I like it as low as possible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks hotbird. Thats actually a lot better than my idea... a little more precise. I'll bet they'll rent me an ohmmeter at Autozone.

Where else should I check for grounds?

·
5,650 Posts
There are 2 grounds on the radiator support, one on each side. There are 2 grounds by the airbag diagnostic monitor behind the glove box, a ground behind the radio/AC controls, and another by the steering wheel. There are also 2 grounds behind each kickpanel and an additional ground specifically for the PCM behind the passenger kickpanel.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I could be wrong but I was thinking there was a ground wire connected to either the head or block on the driver side in front of the motor mount behind the oil filter adapter. Don't really remember for sure just thought I seen one there when I was working on the oil filter adapter.

·
5,650 Posts
I could be wrong but I was thinking there was a ground wire connected to either the head or block on the driver side in front of the motor mount behind the oil filter adapter. Don't really remember for sure just thought I seen one there when I was working on the oil filter adapter.
Yes, that is where the negative battery cable connects to, a stud on the motor mount plate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts