TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tryn to replace my front pads and the damn torx screws on the caliper are frozen. ne one have an idea how to get them off. they cant be heated or nethin cuz they have rubber insulators around them

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Instead of removing the torx head screws, remove the two hex head bolts that hold the entire caliper assembly onto the spindle.

In fact, you can probaly just remove the lower one, and swing the caliper up enough to get the pads off.

You will need a 15mm wrench or socket bit for the bolt.

It may need a little persuasion to get it loose, so have a breaker bar, or length of pipe handy to get extra leverage.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet, thax man!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
um, i'm only seenin the torx heads. those are the only thing attached to the calliper

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Naah! the hex heads are on the INSIDE of the caliper assy , (actually behind it )and you will have a tough time finding the upper of the two...(15mm ,BTW,) do it by braille youll find them, and theyre tight (Blu locktite) put them back tight good luck

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Because you have a 92, you may not have the caliper bracket at all. The earlier cars (89-92, I think) have the caliper bolted directly to the spindle. The later cars have the bracket and the hex-head bolts. My 89 has the Torx bolts. By the way, you can replace the Torx bolts with hex heads. I bought one at Advance Auto because the Torx head was too damaged.

When I replaced my front brakes, I used a 10" or 12" ratchet with a flex head. It took a good amount of effort to break the Torx bolts free. I might have put a short length of pipe over the handle to get more torque. I was careful to also press the Torx bit toward the bolt at the same time, so I wouldn't strip out the bolt head. The job wasn't too bad (for me ... your experience may vary!).

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I've had this happen to the bolts on my 95, and my friends 96. I fought w/ it forever, until I had an idea. Pulled back the rubber boot around the bolt head, busted out my dremel multi-pro, and ground two sides of the bolt flat, until it would fit an open end wrench. 14mm or 9/16, I can't remember which fit better. Now when I change brake pads, I just grab the wrench and skip the torx crap, as it's all stripped out anyway. Makes them much easier. Gotta love power tools:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts