TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well a week ago i flushed the radiator and its been ok...not tooo hot but still not as cool as it used to be when i first bought this bird about a year ago..

i mean i changed the oil and most fluids and i thought that would cool it down a bit..

any ideas on what else do to..yes i searched on the 180stat but wouldnt that need a chip?...or would it jus kick in seein its a stat and THEY kick in not the computer?..hmm...grrrr

was gonna change the spark plugs as well but couldnt get them loose to take out..what is the correct size to remove the plugs with?..and is it supposed to feel like its welded in its so tight?...

EEEEP...

·
Registered
598 Posts
You might want to change your T-Stat as well. You don't need the 180 without the chip, however your stock one might have given up the ghost, so another stock one and o-ring might fix your problem as well. It is my understanding that the 180 tstat waers down your components faster because it is activiated sooner.
I see that you flushed your radiator, did you actually flush it to get the build up out, or just drain it?
Do you have anything blocking the radiator, perhaps limiting the air, such as a transmission cooler? If so, you may want to move it.
I use the Redline brand Water Wetter, it is supposed to help lower the temps., does it actually? I really don't know, I have always used it, so I have no real comparison point.

·
Registered
694 Posts
You CAN use a 180 T-Stat WITHOUT a Chip. Only difference is that without a chip your Fan won't kick on till your stock Temperature is reached. If you get a chip burnt for a 180 T-Stat your fan will then Kick on AT 180 degrees. Otherwise, your coolant will circulate more but the fan will kick on at the original time.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks for correcting my error, I knew that you could physically put it in, but I didn't know that it would really make a difference if you didn't have the chip?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yep, at one point i just had the 180 stat with No chip... my car would stay below normal during driving... but when I came to a stop light or something, it would heat up to "Normal". Now with the chip in I always stay below "Normal".

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Recheck your coolant level! air bubbles in the heater hose/core, etc take a while to work their way out,,, and then a lower level is shown, and unless its re checked and coolant level maintained it can overheat .......

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Did you properly re-fill and bleed your coolant system? There is a certain way the 4.6 likes to be filled, to eliminate air pockets. It has been discussed that if the air pocket is large enough, it can become superheated and cause headgasket failure and other oddities.

To quote Rolling-Thunder:

"To refill the 4.6 T-Bird with anti-freeze, you do the following.

Remove T-stat and heater hose where it connects to intake on Pass. side.

Fill reservoir with coolant until coolant runs freely out of both openings.

Put hose and T-stat back on engine.

Start engine, heater to max., and continue adding anti-freeze to proper level on reservoir tank. Put cap back on.

The Chilton's and Haynes both have it wrong for the 4.6

The owners' manual is right on.

Dr. Frankencougie recommends the T-stat removal procedure"

Jay

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well yes i did do it the chiltons way...grrr...drained it...and i ran radiator flush through it a couple of times..and ran water through it until it was clear..then filled it up on coolant...then every day for 4 days i made sure the coolant level was at high and not low...

so um..do i have to do this again:(

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
It's your call, and car, but me personally, I would follow what the owners manual. I would re-do it that way and see what you get. I'll bet you have air in it somewhere and it's causing the overheat. Kinda sounds like a stuck shut thermostat, too. I'd change the T-stat, refill following the recommended procedure, and then see what you get. I did mine this way when I install my 03 Cobra Rad., and I never had any issues with it.

Jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts