TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just looked and found a 302 gt-40 enine from frpp. Is it worth it? I was gonna blow my car, but N/A rated at 315hp for an auto = about 260 or so to the rear wheels? Is it worth it? or should I go Forced induction? I am steering towards the GT-40 long block...wouldn't it be more reliable in the long run?

·
Registered
192 Posts
look again, it's expensive, underpowered for the price, and doesnt use forged pistons. take a look at the DSS or Coast High short blocks, and pick a better set of heads and cam( I would recomend a comp cams extreme energy grind) . That listed power is also with the full gt-40 kit, Intake manifold , TB , shorty headers , and so on. figure 1200-1500 for the short block. spend the rest on heads and a cam .

·
Registered
425 Posts
pa_dan said:
look again, it's expensive, underpowered for the price, and doesnt use forged pistons. take a look at the DSS or Coast High short blocks, and pick a better set of heads and cam( I would recomend a comp cams extreme energy grind) . That listed power is also with the full gt-40 kit, Intake manifold , TB , shorty headers , and so on. figure 1200-1500 for the short block. spend the rest on heads and a cam .
Agreed. We (me and 2 other ford guys) dropped the GT-40 longblock with the "X" heads and the B cam into a friend's 1987 Mark VII. It had decent power, about 270 but another one of the guys is putting out about 30 more rwhp (he made 302 rwhp without a tune in lincoln mark VII also) with some heavily ported cast iron GT-40's and a custom made Lunati cam with 86,000 miles on the motor. He only put about 2,500 into his setup (used a stock 5.0 H.0 shortblock) vs. the other guy's $5,000 or so for everything to complete the FMS kit. Eventually he ended up dropping a valve into the motor because one of the FMS springs broke. Didn't do any damage to the motor surprisingly because he was stopped at a light, but he ended up selling the GT-40 "X"s and getting some AFR 165's. Car's a monster now, but he couldve just gotten a good shortblock and the heads and probably saved a few grand.

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yet another reason why I love this forum, I was VERY tempted to get that engine...They sell the same one in Summit. Oh well, I guess it will be back to the drawing board...I might do a cam upgrade...not sure which ones will actually work and keep the engine in one piece, but the 5 speed conversion will prolly come first, I have heard nothing but good things about that swap, so, maybe do that first then the other stuff...Biggest prob for me though is unless I want to drop $600 to ship my car to Anchorage, all of the work needs to be done by ME...which sucks b/c I am definatly not a mechanic. Any one coming to Kodiak in the summer?!? LOL

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
don't forget how big of a pita it will be to start up a high compression (unless you going FI later) carbed motor in the cold...

ugh

:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts