252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope nothing is hitting the fan blades, i will check the cat tomorrow

Tyler
Sound-Xtreme

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I listened carefully to those videos. It sounds so familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I have a couple questions, and a couple ideas.

Questions:

1) It seems like it only makes the noise when you are on the throttle a moderate to large amount. Does it make the noise at light throttle?

2) Does it do that only in park, or also when you are in neutral or drive? When you are going down the road, or no?

3) Is your induction system stock?

Possible causes:

1) Something hitting the floorpan, like the exhaust. It doesn't sound like cat heatshields, which I am all too familiar with. All the same, maybe it could be them too.

2) Exhaust leak (cracked header or something) ... sometimes they can sound pretty goofy.

3) Something in the valvetrain. I had a rocker arm bolt break once. The pushrod and rocker arm were just bouncing around like crazy inside the valve cover, and it sounded horrible. Kind of like your noise. But the car was definitely chugging along, and you could feel "hits" in the gas pedal. I think it's probably worth taking the valve covers off to see if a rocker arm is loose or a valve is bent or something.

4) Something stuck in your induction system. Since it seems to only make the noise when you are on the throttle pretty hard, I was thinking it might have something to do with the position of the throttle body or the amount of air getting sucked in. Like, maybe something in there is flapping around when a lot of air goes through.

5) If it only happens when at WOT, then maybe it has to do with the A/C clutch cutout. (You know, it releases the clutch when you floor it to reduce power losses.)

6) Maybe something in your tranny. It sounds a little bit like what happened to me the other day, when I was trying to get my car out of snow by rocking it. I accidentally put it in Park while the wheels were still moving, and it made a ratcheting sort of noise.

Sorry this was so wordy, but I am curious too! I hope it helps!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Unless there is a problem with your torque converter...that is the sound of your lower end knocking. The mains knock on acceleration and rods knock when you let off of the throttle. When did you do your headgaskets? If you havent...its time fer a new engine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it happens in all park,N,Drive when the rpm climes above 3 usually, and when im driving it does it also when i give it hell, it had just started last week, and has been getting worse, it does not make any noise at light throttle, although when i start it in the mornings to go to work when it reves up when the engine first starts, it makes the noise real fast. induction is stock , removed the black box, got a k&n, thats all that has been done to it i took off the hoses to inspect for something like you siad yesterday and saw nothing. now about the main bearings, how do i check that? I know someone has had this problem before,lol, its driving me insane! btu how do i check the bearings? or the rod? im guessing that its not quite an easy thing to check? I replaced the head gaskets at around 90,000? any more ideas?

Tyler
Sound-Xtreme

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
you could of washed a bearing with the headgaskets, has the front cover gasket ever been changed? it happens when when dont drop the pan and clean out the front journal when doing a front cover. defintely sounds like lower end.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It will only get worse untilll it pops. Im tellin ya if the noise is in your engine compt. its the lower end. You can take a long dowell and push it to your ear. Press the lobe into the dowell and against the lower part of the block. When it starts to rattle you will hear it more. If you put the dowell at the top you will still hear it, but at the bottom you will HEAR it. Sorry fer the bad news:( .

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
That's a good call about the dowel, it (or a long screwdriver or whatever) can really help you locate a noise. I hadn't thought of a lower end noise. Sorry I overlooked it. I would recommend that you use the noise-checking method with the dowel, but I would check the valve covers (or inside them) before you go tearing the bottom end apart.

(Sorry if I sounded like a know-it-all in my above post; I wasn't trying to.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts