TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tore apart the transmission in my wifes mach1 tonight because it wouldn't drive itself up the driveway. It just kept revving but not moving. I tried ten times and finally managed to get it into the garage. I drained the torque converter and this is what I found. Any idea what is is? The only issue I had all night besides the driveway issue was it neutraling out it seemed when it shifted into overdrive but eventually it would catch.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
that looks like a bunch of pieces of chunked up friction material only real way to find out what area it came out of is to yank the trans and disassemble.

·
Super Moderator
10,416 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The pan magnet is clean. the pan was clean except for maybe one little piece. The fluid even looked clean.

Well I guess the trans is getting replaced

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The next question is what does it take to get a 2001 gt trans to work in the 2003 mach1? do I need to change any of the pinouts or is it plug and play?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
That depends did you check the mach1 to see if it is a 4r75? They have an extra sensor. If it is a 4r75 then you cannot use the 01 transmission. If it is still a 4r70w it will likely have a 24 tooth OSS count. I have done a few 04's but I am not sure of the OSs count on the 03. I would imagine it is 24 and the 01 will be 6. You would have to tear it down. The only way to be sure is to pull the OSS and look at both of them. If they both look the same you are good. If they are different it will require dissasembly.
Alan

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
OMG there were leaves & paper towels in your TC... that definitely voids the Warranty~!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the photos of the different OSS sensors. The gt one is the one with teeth (left side). The mach1 trans doesn't have a sensor. It's just has a cover for the hole.

The second and third photo show the internal differences. The gt trans has a gear pattern on the output shaft while the Mach1 output shaft is smooth with no gear pattern. Is it going to matter about the differences since the mach1 doesn't even have a oss sensor?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oops. I pulled the oss. It looks different inside. Do i need to pull the tailshaft in order change out the output shaft or is it not quite that easy?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
It is not the shaft that will matter it is the outer ring gear of the planetary gearset. A good tuner may be able to make it work I would talk with one first. I had Precision autosports fix one for a guy. Jeff got one right for me on the first try.
Alan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts