TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have a quick question about two guns. This would be my first handgun, but being that I'm going back to New Orleans, it seems like a good time to get it. I don't know much about guns, but I know I don't want a p.o.s. I want something reliable, that will last for years and shoot straight. It will be used primarily just for practice and of course for protection. I am leaning toward a .40 caliber. With that being said, does anyone have any experience with the Glock 23 or Sig 229 models? Or for that matter if you like another model better.

I know a lot of it is your personal view (what feels good in your hand, etc.), but just thought I would try to get a little help from the experts. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Revolver in .357 magnum. Very powerful (I'll let you look up the specs) and you can use cheap .38s for target practice. Get a reputable brand like Ruger (my fav) or Smith & Wesson (sp).

Just remember that semi-autos can and will jam, so it's a revolver for my home protection. I know the chances of a new style semi-auto pistol with good ammo jamming is slim, but it's still there.

That's MY opinion.

Hope it helps,
Rob

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
While I don't own any (can't until I turn 21), I have shot a BUNCH with the school's gun club. my 3 favorite hangun calibers to shoot are the .45 ACP, .357 Mag, .40 S&W.

If you want a semi-auto, I've been a big fan of the Glocks since I first fired them. I mainly shot a Glock 21. Never had a jam with it all the time I was shooting. Just a few misfires from crappy ammunition.

Girdnerg brings up a good point about revolvers too. Not as much stuff to go wrong.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I tottaly agree. Auto loaders are neat but a revolver is rock solid. I have a conceal carry permit I carrry a Smith and Wesson 357 magnum. For two reasons, if it gets stolen you are not out allot of money. And it will never jam in case I ever have to use it. Check out the louisiana hand gun rules. I think you can legally carry one as long as its not concealed. i don't know what your worried about we got all your criminals here in Texas. New Orleans is probably the safest city in America. :) if your not really expericned with handguns the revolver is the best place to start. As far as home defense nothing is better than a youth model 20 gauge pump with bird shot, close range its deadly plus it won't go through sheetrock walls.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. Although I agree that a revolver probably is more reliable, for one reason or another I am pretty set on a semi-auto. Plus with a higher quality piece that is well taken care of with quality ammo I can't imagine too many jamming problems, of course I know that 1 is too many.

Blake-vortech said:
Check out the louisiana hand gun rules. I think you can legally carry one as long as its not concealed. i don't know what your worried about we got all your criminals here in Texas. New Orleans is probably the safest city in America. :)
You are correct that we can carry them as long as it's not concealed.

Oh yeah, thanks for the Texas generosity in taking all of our trash. From what I hear, 3 out of 4 of the ones they sent to Houston are not planning on returning. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Blake-vortech said:
........As far as home defense nothing is better than a youth model 20 gauge pump with bird shot, close range its deadly plus it won't go through sheetrock walls.
There's a lot of sense in that statement. Only downside I can even think of is that the 20 gauge might not be as "mobile", meaning quick to point, aim, fire, etc. But I imagine that practice would minimize that problem. Definitely don't want things going through walls and hitting those you are trying to protect.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Glock 9mms are very relaible guns, hell almost every PD uses them, also a fav of criminals. Asked my uncle about them once (they use them on the force) says they are very good

Dont go smaller than .40, .38s dont have much stopping power. For personal protection a snub-nose .357 mag is perfect, very reliable, will stop anything and easy to conceal.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Traveler said:
There's a lot of sense in that statement. Only downside I can even think of is that the 20 gauge might not be as "mobile", meaning quick to point, aim, fire, etc. But I imagine that practice would minimize that problem. Definitely don't want things going through walls and hitting those you are trying to protect.
Plus, if he went with a "youth" model, they tend to be shorter, easy to manuever (sp?) in close quarters. I'd never actually thought about using a youth model before. Makes sense though.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake-vortech
........As far as home defense nothing is better than a youth model 20 gauge pump with bird shot, close range its deadly plus it won't go through sheetrock walls.

There's a lot of sense in that statement. Only downside I can even think of is that the 20 gauge might not be as "mobile", meaning quick to point, aim, fire, etc. But I imagine that practice would minimize that problem. Definitely don't want things going through walls and hitting those you are trying to protect
Shoot prairie chicken for a while and youd be amazed how fast you can get a shotgun up and aimed.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
lol As I said, practice, practice, practice. :D

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
This is only a little off topic. On the way over here this week (I'm in Hutch KS) I saw a classic redneck style pickup. slight lift, gun rack, duals, etc. bumper stickers advertising policital preferences. Then in the window he has a "Beretta" sticker. Nothing against Beretta's, I hear they are great guns. But it just struck me how the same "All pro American Iron" type of person (and I know I'm way over in stereotype territory here, don't even know the guy) is advertising his love of Italian firearms. I would have expected a sticker that said "Remingon" or "Winchester". LOL Just an observation. Back to the original topic now. :D

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Believe it or not, CCI makes shotshells for the popular pistol calibers.
Rob

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
usually all it takes is someone hearing that pump action sound and they ***** themselves and leave. i have relatives that work as prison guards and thats the one thing that all the inmates fear.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
My .02...

Sig 229 .40 cal all the way. I carried a Glock 23 .40 when we went away from the 9mm in 97. It was nice, buy the Sig is the best gun I've ever carried. Unfortunately I'm stuck with a Beretta right now, but that is the ONLY gun issued over here. But, I carried it in the Military so I remember how it shoots.

.40 cal has almost as much stopping power as the .45, and almost the speed of the 9mm, so it is a great round. (Especially in the Sig).

I cannot wait to get back home, so I can drive my Bird and carry my Sig to work again.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
usually all it takes is someone hearing that pump action sound and they ***** themselves and leave. i have relatives that work as prison guards and thats the one thing that all the inmates fear.
Way back my great uncle was a guard (when they still carried weapons) he said the same thing. Anything ever got outta hand just give it a pump and everything calmed down. I dont think anyone who B&Es is gonna stick around too long after hearing that.

I do love the one I saw in the SIR catalouge, 12 guage called the "Persuader", hell seeing that thing would persuade anyone to do what you want.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lobo said:
Sig 229 .40 cal all the way. I carried a Glock 23 .40 when we went away from the 9mm in 97. It was nice, buy the Sig is the best gun I've ever carried. Unfortunately I'm stuck with a Beretta right now, but that is the ONLY gun issued over here. But, I carried it in the Military so I remember how it shoots.

.40 cal has almost as much stopping power as the .45, and almost the speed of the 9mm, so it is a great round. (Especially in the Sig).
Thanks for your inut. Although I am not set between these two models, I am mostly set on a .40 semi-auto. I was leaning toward the Glock, again I don't know too much, but I will definitely check out the Sig as well.

Thanks also for the input on the shotgun. I should have mentioned that since in Louisiana we can carry them without a permit, I really want a hand gun since I plan to take it with me often in the car. As long as it is in sight or you tell the officer that stops you, all is fine. I know Paddycake on here used to carry his Glock 22 in the passengers seat just about everywhere he went.

Any imput is always appreciated guys, so by all means, keep it coming!

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Blake-vortech said:
a revolver is rock solid. I have a conceal carry permit I carrry a Smith and Wesson 357 magnum. For two reasons, if it gets stolen you are not out allot of money. And it will never jam in case I ever have to use it.
No casings either :rolleyes: :D

357's are very nice, but I am kinda partial to the 44 mag :cool:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
"This is a .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun built" (I think thats how it goes)

Blow through an engine block lol.

Good luck concealing one of those cannons though

·
Registered
453 Posts
You can cary the shotgun in the car. Most people can't hit the broad side of a barn with a pistol. Now the old shot gun is a differnt story !!!! ;)

A user called the Louisiana State Police and was told state law considers your car an extension of the home, similar to Florida with their glove box law. Carrying a loaded gun in the car is an accepted practice there.

Admin note
In an email from the Louisiana State Police I was told that Louisiana has no law coving firearms inside motor vehicles. Since there is no law anyone who can legally possess a firearm can carry a loaded firearm inside a vehicle. It can be the glove box, console or under the seat. Even without any laws covering firearms inside vehicles I would still be very careful without a Louisiana CCW or one they honor from another state.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts