TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i was just wonderin if i gutted my cats if it would sound the same as high-flow cats.i would gutt them but i have to pass emissions.usally i dont get a visual test done when i get emissions..but if anyone could help me i would appreciate it

·
Registered
694 Posts
No cats/gutted cats is more flow than a high flow cat... too much flow can result in some backpressure loss, but added HP ... I have gutted my cats... and minimal flow restrictions thru out entire exhaust system... not a "seat of your pants" change in torgue loss from my experience. Sounds hella good with no cats and a muffler mounted mid-body.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
go with the high flow. You can pickup a pair of magnaflow carsounds for cheap. I got a pair of stainless 2.5" cats for less than $100 shipped.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Hey, any leads on where I can find some downtubes for my 97 so I can put the High Flow cats I've got sitting in boxes on? I want to go to a 2.5" system from the stocker 2".

Also wondering if I should go with a Y pipe or an H pipe with the 2 High Flow Cats? I've got no resonator, but a hacked up stock beyond the 3rd cat (which I'd like to dump.).

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
FordFanatic,

All the shops here are chicken****s. They don't want to do more than replace the Ford cats with new Ford cats.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
dan, pull your y-pipe, tkae it to a shop, tell them that you want a custom pipe setup to repalce this, and here, use this as the pattern. its a federal thing, if they take a cat off a car they have to replace it with a cat. but if you bring in the component they should do it for you

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Justin,

Just take the stock setup, plus the cats I want to use and they'll make up what I want?

Oh, one of the high flow cats has provision for air injection. Can I just have that tube welded shut as my T-Bird doesn't have an air pump on it?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
yes, they should, its different if its off the car , but research the shops in your area. if not i have a guy i could get you to hook up with . but he's waay out here

·
Registered
552 Posts
GreenBird said:
go with the high flow. You can pickup a pair of magnaflow carsounds for cheap. I got a pair of stainless 2.5" cats for less than $100 shipped.
i wouldn't get crapsound cats. I had them on my custom setup and one started to rattle not a month after the install. So what happened was i ordered a new one and while i waited for the cat to come in the mail the rattling stopped and got clogged and blew the headgasket in my supercoupe. I am almost certain that the cat clogged and its the reason why my hgs blew

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Pertaining to "gutted" cats. I've heard one T-bird with gutted cats. You could hear the resonance inside the cats. Sounded like two beehives under your floorboards. I wouldn't do that. I'd either replace the cats with straight pipe, or get high flow cats.

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
Just so you know, contrary to what some people believe, if you have high flow cats, there is no loss in flow as opposed to straight pipe of the same inlet and outlet diameter in its place. Having them there will not hurt your performance at all provided the entire exhaust is appropriately sized for the power you are making.

In my opinion, if you have to pass emissions inspection, it just isn't worth the hassle of not having the cats on there. The extra money you will have to lay out now to have the cats welded on will be saved next time you need to get inspected and you have to search for someone to slide you through, or have a stock exhaust put back on for inspection then swapped again afterwards.

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I agree Mike. If KS had a mandatory exhaust inspection I wouldn't even THINK of going catless. But since they don't.......... :D

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
eg0r said:
btw does any1 know how much of a difference highflow cats make in the emission tests vs stock cats?
none

1 - 15 of 15 Posts