TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, folks. Just curious, on 1997 4.6 Thunderbird if the cats were "gutted", the CEL would come on, right? The guy at the exhaust shop said that they wouldn't, but I thought that since it's got cats behind the catalytic converter, it would throw a code. I am sad that the mandrel exhaust place quit producing the hi flow x-pipe kits.:(

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
cel fix

They do sell o2 simulators that will make the computer think the cats are still there n won't turn the cel on. Or you can have it tuned and turn the rear o2's off. Simulators will probably be cheaper tho

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I use BBK mil eliminators on my DOHC swap t-bird with good results. I could have had them turned off in one of my tunes but it would have registered not supported as a PID on my emissions test instead of completed on the readiness status of the test. They function just fine, I've been using them since 2008 or so.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not going to worry about a tune right now because I'm not sure if I'm even going to keep the car in the near future. I'm wanting a Mark 7 or 8 currently, but can't find any in good shape locally. Excuse my ignorance, but where can I find these "simulators"? I found some for the Mustangs, but I'm not sure if they are interchangeable with the Thunderbirds and Cougars.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Has anyone ever failed a "visual" inspection with the MIL eliminators in place?

Al

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Well if you have MIL eliminators you probably won't have cats, so they'd probably fail you for that lol

MIL eliminators pretty much blend in with the harness other than the extra inline connectors
:zwthstpd:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I was referring to putting the MIL eliminators on the car to eliminate a code for the rear cat WITH the cats still in place. :rolleyes:

Al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts