TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I straight piped my car a while back and recently one of my O2's went bad. Well I was just gonna get a set of MIL eliminators and just gut the cats or just have them removed but I was wondering what this would do to the sound of my exhaust. It sounds okay right now with it being straight piped, just lots of drone and it doesnt really have a tone to it, but do you think it will get a lot louder with the cats gutted? Should I just replace the O2 and call it good or what? Thanks guys!:D

·
Registered
608 Posts
you may wanna get some hiflows, if you gut em or take em off all together you may not have enough backpressure, and that can actually reduce performance

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Lithsanatrex said:
you may wanna get some hiflows, if you gut em or take em off all together you may not have enough backpressure, and that can actually reduce performance

not necessarily. I dont have cats.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
First off, which O2 sensor is bad? If it is one of the front ones, then your car needs that to calculate the correct air fuel ratio. The back ones are just there to tell if the cats are working or not. My reccomendation would be to replace the O2 sensor, then get some high flow cats welded in. High flow cats will not hurt your performance at all (in fact they would probably perform better than just gutted factory cats) and you wouldn't have to worry about MIL eliminators or emissions inspections, etc.

Mike

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MadMikeyL said:
First off, which O2 sensor is bad? If it is one of the front ones, then your car needs that to calculate the correct air fuel ratio. The back ones are just there to tell if the cats are working or not. My reccomendation would be to replace the O2 sensor, then get some high flow cats welded in. High flow cats will not hurt your performance at all (in fact they would probably perform better than just gutted factory cats) and you wouldn't have to worry about MIL eliminators or emissions inspections, etc.

Mike
Alright sweet, thats probably what I will end up doing. I'll just replace the O2 for now and then when I get the money together to get true duals ran I will buy a set of high flow cats too. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I don't run cats on my A.R.T. setup either, between that, my mid-mount magnaflow tru-x resonater, and my JBA's I think my car sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I went and picked up a rear O2 and they gave me some stupid Bosch universal one, I threw it in but I'll have to drive my car around a little more tommorow to see if it throws the code again or not. I didn't realize it but there is one on each side before the cat and then another after them. I'm not sure which one is bad, driver side or passenger. If it throws the code again I'll swap it with the other side and see if that fixes it, otherwise Ill buy another one I guess and put a new one in on each side.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I had busted high flow cats on my mustang that where rattling like crazy....got rid of them, no cats...car runs better than ever...the rattle was gone for probably a month, now it's back again, right around 1700-2200 RPM and especially bad at 2000 RPM. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts