TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have a Dynomax Cat Back With a gutted 3rd cat a want it to be a little louder and more aggresive sounding. If I get a pair of MIL eliminators and gut my Precats what would that sound like? Thanks.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
it wouldn't sound good. gutted cats make the exhaust sound hollow and drone.

I would ditch the dynomax and go for 2.25 true dual.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What if I get pipes welded on instead of gutting them?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, That was my 100th post! :wiggle: :headbang: :zbeer:
And it deserves the obligatory dancing bannas :znanner: :znanner: :znanner: :znanner: :znanner: :znanner:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
w/ pipes you might have a problem passing inspection, and while not as bad as hollow cats, there would still be a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you gut the cats it leaves a chamber in the shell...so it resonates...and sounds like an exhaust leak. If you have emissions in your area, just get some high flow cats. But if you're not in an emissions area, just have your exhaust guy chop 'em off and weld new bungs in the pipe for your o2's to fit in.
Worked well for me and I get about 3 comments a week on my setup.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what kind of mufflers are you running? I've got Dynomax Super Turbos's. Do you think I should have them weld on a pipe where the 3rd cat, is it's hollowed out now. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have enough money for true duals right now, but I want it to sound good. With the Dynomax ST's would I still lose a lot of low-end torque with no cats?

·
Registered
252 Posts
If it is a highway cruiser, you might regret it. If you can deal with the extra noise, go for it. I have gutted cats, but it doesnt bother me. I also don't have much exhaust at all on the car. Just a single 3" Edelbrock SS muffler. It sounds quiet enough not to get pulled over when I am not into the throttle. It has a pretty cool wail at WOT.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think it would sound good with two dynomax St's?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
i gutted my cats before i put the dual exhaust on my car, lets just say im working on a plan to get rid of them and redo it, it sounds like ***.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts