TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gutting the A/C out of a bird or cat. Has any one done this???

·
Registered
337 Posts
yup, it's reall easy to all you need is a 79k6 belt and a grooved idler pulley to put in place of the stock that has no grooves. Romove all the hardware and then thats it.

-Derrick-

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup, it's reall easy to all you need is a 79k6 belt and a grooved idler pulley to put in place of the stock that has no grooves. Romove all the hardware and then thats it.

-Derrick-
So you've done this??? Where could i get my hands the pully adapter?

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No just the A/C, wonder what belt i'd need after that is done

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found this on Summit Racing!! Only $51 plus shipping, sweet:D

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but if you are going to install an idler where the compressor was, why not just unplug the clutch and leave it? To save a couple pounds?

Bob

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Great Obucina said:
the AC has a WOT cutout. Keep the AC dude.
Hmmm let me see…no way dude. The A/C is a horse power robbing whore. Less weight in the front and less drag on the motor, I’m going for it.:diablo:

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
umm... I don't see how the A/C is a horsepower robbing whore when its not engaged... its just a idler pulley at this point. and they are right... it has a WOT cut off. Have you ever had the A/C full blast then floored it for a while and notice that the air gets hotter. I would keep teh A/C for eh summer time.

edit: I was just thinking... Defrosters work by drying out the air... which uses the compressor and dryer right?? So if you take it off won't this effect the defrost? The only advantage I could see to this is that you could turn the AC swtich on and get the fan to run constantly.. then again I coudl hook a switch up to the fan and still be cool during the summer time :)

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Defrost OK, defog, ouch. You will notice a BIG differance when the windows fog up, without the dehumidified air, they take forever to clear. Is it really worth it to save 5-6 pounds?

Bob

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope not changing my mind...I live in wisconsin the hottest its going to get is 80, maybe 90, but i like to roll with the windows down anyways. But thanks for the feedback.:)

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
well when I meant defrost I meant the setting... LOL but yes... He's right oxman... If you are going to drive your car in the humid cool evenings and your windows fog up you are f*cked... your windows aren't going to defog because you are going to be blowing humid air onto the window. you need the DRY air to do it and thats what the A/C compressor is used for. I promise you its not worth it. You're going to save what... probably about 15 lbs from the freon and the compressor if that and save oh probably .25 horsepower from the idler pulley on the A/C compressor. Its not a smart move I promise you. You would save more HP from disconnecting all the lights on your car at night so it doesn't draw any demand from the alternator than you would from taking off teh A/C compressor. Also... think about this one. You are taking off a idler pulley to put another one on?? how does that work. but if you want go right ahead man. When you get in an accident cuz you can't see out your windshield we'll just say we told you so :/

P.S - to everyone else I can see it already. He's going to take it off go to the track run the SAME thing he did before and be dissappointed. Then he'll have to have someone run a vacuum on the system to get all hte moisture out of the system. Not to mention all the expensive freon... sometimes I wish I had my certification so I could do it myself. So much cheaper that way.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FunktasticLucky said:
well when I meant defrost I meant the setting... LOL but yes... He's right oxman... If you are going to drive your car in the humid cool evenings and your windows fog up you are f*cked... your windows aren't going to defog because you are going to be blowing humid air onto the window. you need the DRY air to do it and thats what the A/C compressor is used for. I promise you its not worth it. You're going to save what... probably about 15 lbs from the freon and the compressor if that and save oh probably .25 horsepower from the idler pulley on the A/C compressor. Its not a smart move I promise you. You would save more HP from disconnecting all the lights on your car at night so it doesn't draw any demand from the alternator than you would from taking off teh A/C compressor. Also... think about this one. You are taking off a idler pulley to put another one on?? how does that work. but if you want go right ahead man. When you get in an accident cuz you can't see out your windshield we'll just say we told you so :/

P.S - to everyone else I can see it already. He's going to take it off go to the track run the SAME thing he did before and be dissappointed. Then he'll have to have someone run a vacuum on the system to get all hte moisture out of the system. Not to mention all the expensive freon... sometimes I wish I had my certification so I could do it myself. So much cheaper that way.
FunktasticLucky,

I’ll take it into consideration; I’m doing a little more research on the A/C delete. Thank you for your concerns. That’s why I started this tread, to get feedback and learn about this subject.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well yes it was, but now I don’t even know. I have a couple motor head friends telling me to pull it out cause I'd get more out of the motor. But I've been doing some research. That pulley adapter is used for Mustang drag cars to get every pound off there cars. So...I don’t know, thinking about not doing it now. If i had a car like 95badbird then i would, but this car is nice, should keep it.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i think the motorhead friends are talkin out thier asses. keep dat **** in. whatever gains you will pick up in terms out weight probably wont help alot.....as you already have mad crazy JDM torque.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Great Obucina said:
i think the motorhead friends are talkin out thier asses. keep dat **** in. whatever gains you will pick up in terms out weight probably wont help alot.....as you already have mad crazy JDM torque.
Nobody is talking out of there a**es. They were referring to drag cars losing weight on the front end, they both have old school muscle cars (73 Mustang and 70 Torino Cobra). Back in the day you get more gains when removing the A/C then today’s cars. I was looking into it, doing some research and info about it, thats it.

Thank you for your concerns,

Josh

1 - 20 of 26 Posts