TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I went to Elk Grove, and had my exhaust somewhat done...it's 2.25 true dual going all the way back to the rear of the car, with turndowns and a magnaflow X pipe, no mufflers yet.

So, I get out of there, head towards a friends house in Carmichael. Stop at the gas station to take a leak....get out of the car, get back in the car, put the key in, won't go in all the way...damn...ignition lock had been giving be trouble for a while...mess with it, pull it out put it in pull it out put it in, won't turn, won't go in all the way, then, the key won't come out. Finally I get it out, twisting the key a bit. Lock cylinder is all out of whack and key won't go back in.

Twist the lock cylinder a bit, get it to click back into alignment with itself. Key won't go in because it's tweaked. bend it back as best as I can, still won't go in.

Friend shows up with new lock cylinder & key from autozone. Looks like original but chrome instead of black. Realise that lock cylinder won't come out unless it's in "on" position, per instructions. Damn. Now what.

Friend grabs key, shoves it in ignition, pushes REAL hard, it clicks in, turns, car fires up.

I FEEL LIKE A MORON.

So, I need to change it, I have instructions, should I risk it? should I take it to the dealer?

thanx

Earl

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
The second that you got it to turn to On, I would have changed it right then. It's such a simple thing, takes all of 30 seconds, just do it.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do I have to take the top and bottom of the steering column apart? How do I pull out the old one/put in the new one?

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Let me see if I can remember... you turn disconnect the battery, turn the switch to the On position, push a button on the bottom of the steering column (there's a hole in the plastic shroud and a steel release button behind it), pull out the lock cylinder, put the new key in the new cylinder, push the cylinder in to the steering column, turn the switch back to off, and reconnect the battery.

I THINK that is all you need to do. I put a new ignition switch and lock cylinder in my '90 last summer, and aside from having to get special bits to remove the switch from the column, it's fine.

·
Super Moderator
16,814 Posts
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uzgngF_yAvM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uzgngF_yAvM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Or, um, that guy apparently made a video of it...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
From what I know, the chrome locks from Autozone don't fit correctly, you have to get the black ones. Not sure why, but they do have different part numbers.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was Specialized Exhaust & Custom Fabrication...the owner's name is Paul--good dude, does nice work.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cut off the third cat a couple months ago...I was running open...nothing...for a while...post up or PM me a photo of your bird...I never run into locals on here :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts