TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had a leaky coolant hose.....The one from the heater core to the top of the backside of the intake manifold......Upon closer inspection, it appears I have a small crack on the intake manifold........Since it appears that I will need to replace the manifold, I was considering getting a PI manifold since I have read here that they seem to be popular and I figure I might as well make lemons into lemonade if it makes since.....I have a 1996 4.6L on it's third manifold which has the aluminum crossover with two coolant sensors(The prior two did not have the aluminum crossovers.) The engine is stock except for a K&N filter.

My question is would it be much more work to replace the stock manifold with a PI manifold and would there likely be any noticeable improvement in performance with the stock heads? Another thing I am thinking is that I may replace the heads and/or entire engine somehwere down the road so I guess if I do that I will need to get a PI manifold at that time. Lastly will I need to keep my aluminum crossover for the PI heads?

Any comments from those who have installed the PI manifold would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You can use your NPI crossover on the PI intake so you wont have to drill and tap the hole next to the thermostat. The PI intake onto NPI heads swap is cake except for the issues that you will run into with the coolant tube underneath the intake+ needing to RTV the cooling passages. Some people on here have said ~13HP which is nothing to sneeze at, but its not that big of a deal.
-Rob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks....That's good news to hear......I have looked online for a place to buy it and not surprisingly, I didn't find any saying they are for 1996 Tbirds. Can anyone tell me what year mustangs would be compatible or some other way of determining what will fit my application?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
intake manifold

I also had a crack in the rear area of my intake manifold and also thought had a leak in one of my hoses and that wasn't the case? so I just replace my intake manifold on my 96 t-bird yesterday and bought the piece on ebay for a couple hundred bucks, i also checked around for prices and cant beat the ebay prices since this is the most common brand and ebay sells them at a good price. boy its a complete set with everything you would need including a brand new thermostats 180 degree, nice!!remember to replace the hose underneath where the manifold sits, mine had some where showing. be careful also not to get any of the coolant into your spark plug area, it'll mess your plugs up, my mechanic just did that and he had to replace all of them for free. when i watched him put it in, it really didn't look too complicated, but they only charged me 2 1/2 to put it in at www.meineke.com and had an online coupon also for $20 bucks off for over 200 dollars or $50 for 500's work done. check them out. good luck.

regards,
ramon

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
what's the difference between a '99- early '01 PI intake and the mid '01 - '04? Windsor PI?
99 - early 01

Plastic Crossover, prone to cracking like the NPI intake
Difficult to place 2nd coolant sensor that NPI engines use

01 - 04

Aluminum Crossover
Easy to drill/tap for 2nd coolant sensor that NPI engines use

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've read on some of the ebay link ads that these PI intakes are for PI heads.....Will I be needing to get some sort of adapter or is that just the standard ad talk of the day?

·
2,116 Posts
I've read on some of the ebay link ads that these PI intakes are for PI heads.....Will I be needing to get some sort of adapter or is that just the standard ad talk of the day?
You need a few parts to make it work.

The coolant tube that runs underneath the intake, the PI intake alternator bracket and a water nipple.

Use PI intake gaskets and some RTV around the coolant ports and you are good to go.

Do a search here for PI intake swap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I already have an aluminum crossover on my current manifold which another post said i could use with the PI manifold. Would I still need a new alternator bracket or would my current one work since I already have the aluminum crossover?

·
2,116 Posts
I already have an aluminum crossover on my current manifold which another post said i could use with the PI manifold. Would I still need a new alternator bracket or would my current one work since I already have the aluminum crossover?
You can swap the crossovers and you can use the alternator bracket you have.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
99 - early 01

Plastic Crossover, prone to cracking like the NPI intake
Difficult to place 2nd coolant sensor that NPI engines use

01 - 04

Aluminum Crossover
Easy to drill/tap for 2nd coolant sensor that NPI engines use
Doh! Totally forgot. :facepalm:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I thought I had a leaky coolant hose.....The one from the heater core to the top of the backside of the intake manifold......Upon closer inspection, it appears I have a small crack on the intake manifold........Since it appears that I will need to replace the manifold, I was considering getting a PI manifold since I have read here that they seem to be popular and I figure I might as well make lemons into lemonade if it makes since.....I have a 1996 4.6L on it's third manifold which has the aluminum crossover with two coolant sensors(The prior two did not have the aluminum crossovers.) The engine is stock except for a K&N filter.

My question is would it be much more work to replace the stock manifold with a PI manifold and would there likely be any noticeable improvement in performance with the stock heads? Another thing I am thinking is that I may replace the heads and/or entire engine somehwere down the road so I guess if I do that I will need to get a PI manifold at that time. Lastly will I need to keep my aluminum crossover for the PI heads?

Any comments from those who have installed the PI manifold would be appreciated.
We have the exact same problem I was thinking about going PI but I'm scared of being stuck somewhere in the modifications not knowing what to do. So if you do it could you snap a couple of pics to show the modifs that need to be done? Thanks :tongue:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have the exact same problem I was thinking about going PI but I'm scared of being stuck somewhere in the modifications not knowing what to do. So if you do it could you snap a couple of pics to show the modifs that need to be done? Thanks :tongue:
Do to a lot of things going on and the luxury of having an extra car to use in the meantime, I am now ready to start this project. I believe I have all the parts. I will chroincle the project and if successfull, will post it here afterwards.

Btw...I have a lame all in one /several year model Tbird repair manual. I've tried searching here for a more detailed description of removal/installation of even a stock manifold but have yet to find one. If anyone can provide me a link I'd be most appreciative.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I Have started the job - finally

Well I'm in the middle of the job now. I started by taking several pictures of the engine compartment in case I need some help remembering how things hook up later. I am at the point where I have just removed my old manifold. I took a side by side photo of the old and new manifold portsides for Montreal and anyone else who is interested. I also took a pic of all the parts laid out. I bought a complete conversion kit on ebay so I trust that all the parts included are all that are needed. I am currently stopped, trying to decide whether or not to replace my water pump. On the one hand there is the saying if it's not broke don't fix it. On the other hand I have just north of 110k miles on it so it may well be the prudent thing to do. Another little issue is according to the conversion instructions, it says to RTV aroung the right front and left rear water passages. It has an illustration showing the right front passage and only about half of it's perimeter with an RTV bead. Then above the diagram in big bold print it says "DO NOT APPLY SEALANT AROUND ENTIRE PASSAGE....IT WILL LEAK." I think I need to contact them and hope they provide me a clarification. If I am to rtv just partially around each of these two passages I would like to know what section of the left rear passage needs the RTV too.

I hope to post the photos as soon as I figure out how to do that. The "insert image" icon asks for my url. I don't know what a url is. I was hoping to just upload the photos from my puter. I have searched this site trying to figure it out to no avail. If anyone can tell me how, I would be appreciative.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

Ok, looks like I have it now............Thanks Maestro..........

For Montreal and anyone else interested, the photo above shows the parts that came with my NPI to PI intake manifold conversion less the manifold itself. What you see above is the following:

manifold gaskets, heater tube, heater tube nipple, alternator bracket, installation instructions, RTV, and O-rings for thermostat, water pump, and it looks like fuel injector O-rings( although instructions didn't list injector O-rings as included.)

The following photo shows a side by side comparison of the new PI manifold (right) and the old NPI manifold (left) in the same orientation.

I believe these two photos show all the parts necessary for the conversion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts