TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seal on my half shafts right at the pumpkin are leaking.

I know I need to remove the nut near the wheel.

Someone said that you just "pry" the halfshaft out of the pumpkin? Is there a c-clip or similar holding it in? If so do you have to remove the diff cover and remove the c-clip? Or have the cover off when you put it back in so you can reattach the c-clip?

Mine is a 97 t-bird, 7.5 inch rear end, non posi....

Thanks

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
You do not need to remove the hub nut. Unbolt the bolts that connect the spinle to the upper and lower control arms and support the spinde with some thing, I ususllay use a milk crate. Slide under the car and use a pry bar or screw driver to pop the half shaft out of the differential. While holding up the upper control arm slide the spindle and half shaft until the shaft is out. Use a pry bar or a large screw driver to pry the seals out then tap the new ones in.

-Miller

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I've done this swap MANY times as I've changed out my IRS MANY times.

18mm, and 21mm are your friends for this.

Also will need a 12mm to drop the rear caliper (assuming that you have rear disc). One thing to remember here if you DO have rear disc, is do NOT press on the brake pedal during this procedure, otherwise you need to re-adjust the caliper when you go to re-install it.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
when I did my rear end I took the nut off and popped it out of the spindle then used a prybar and pried on it by the differential and was careful not to damage the halfshaft. to me that was easy as pie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts