TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i half shafted my TB and put it all together, the IAC ran my idle from 950 to 1500, so i put it back to 950.....i also have a check engine light...i pulled #15 fuse from under the hood which is for the ECU but my car still started?? i dont think it should have...still got the check engine light...any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
I'd say take it somewhere and get the codes read then see what the problem is. I've never done it, but the car isn't supposed to start when the #15 fuse is pulled. Double check and make sure you pulled the right one. How does it run otherwise with the half shafted TB?

Joe

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bleh..

i got three words for everyone thinking about doing this "dont do it" not worth the time or patience......i pulled my #15 fuse 2 or 3 times......car started up just fine and check engine light was still there...i have almost no acceleration at highway speeds from about 3rd gear up......in town its very sluggish most of the time, unless i actually shift it myself......and my idle gets pushed up while in town to 1100 and it makes me accelerate constantly and im always riding my break......i hated that i did this to my car unless there is a way to fix the problems im having and im hoping i can so i dont have to get a new TB or shaft

here are just a few pics..i forgot the pic of the shaft after i finished but it looks just like RGR's from v6power.net

this is my butterfly valve before i cleaned it up......its REALLY dirty as you can see

this next one is my TB cleaned and polished up

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
go to a junk yard and get a shaft,.... i think you just might have broken the throttle position sensor like i might have done... cause i heard something wierd from inside the sensor when i tried removing the shaft. -greg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmmm

possible.....i tried to take that sensor off when i had it out and before i started cleaning it but the screws wouldnt budge.....ill have to check into that

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
so you cleaned it with the sensor on? ok, well, i knocked mine into the water, lol... i'm going to start my bird up in the morning to see if i can drive to meet up with phatbrd, but if it doesnt run right, im going to have to take the minivan.. ugghh... and get a new sensor next week, cause itd be nice to have that car back on the road after 3 months into this overhaul that hit a point where i ran out of money, i guess that happens when youre 17. -greg

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hey I was going to do this to a spare throttle body I have laying around. But I guess you convinced me not to try. If you would like my throttle body as a replacement, let me know. I wouldn't mind selling it cheap to bail you guys out.

Jim

·
Registered
443 Posts
half shafting your throttle body will have no effect on the computer...it is not the reason for the check engine light and poor performance...you must have damaged a sensor or something...get it scanned right away

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
well.. i pulled the bird out today and got it driving around.... the check engine light was on my whole trip but there a slight.. key word slight.... more pull, however, if i hadnt knocked my tp sensor into the water and if i hadnt of broken the clip on one of the cables (im guessing TV, cause doesnt it for from the trans to the tb or something like that). the broken clip seems to make my transmission a little erratic when it shifts... but anyways, if yo dont mess it up somehow, its a worth the money you pay.... nothing! -greg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Be careful driving around with a mis-adjusted TV cable. You can burn up a trans in a heartbeat. Again, I ask, what is half shafting a TB? Don't force me to draw my own conclusions of the mating of the the words "half" and "shaft"

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sensors......

jim said:
half shafting your throttle body will have no effect on the computer...it is not the reason for the check engine light and poor performance...you must have damaged a sensor or something...get it scanned right away
well i noticed tonight while driving home from work that going 60-65MPH if i try to get on the gas the car kinda studders then slows to where it began....not sure if this info is helpful in any way but ill ask around to a few shops and see who can scan codes for me.....i used to have a ford code reader but i lost it some place....if there is anyone in Missouri that has a Ford scanner and doesnt mind driving.....you could help me out a lot!!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The dangers of free mods...

Guys, unplug the TPS. If it acts the same way as before, then it's the TPS. Also the TV cable is crucial for AOD operation-- make sure it's on correctly and adjusted properly.

All I can say to you guys is live and learn. You should have done the mod with a spare instead of your primary piece. Just in case, I am auctioning an intake with T-body on Ebay-- check the classifieds.

PJ

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here you go BlackTBird. Not sure how this can yield any appreciable gain. This is from a previous post by RancherV6Lee.

1) remove the TB from the car
2) remove the sensors and IAC from the TB
3) clean it with dish soap/water mix
4) Use a GOOD Phillips screw driver to remove the 2 screws from the throttle Plate
5) Remove the Throttle plate and an you should be able to remove the shaft from the throttle body (you MAY need to slighly file the shaft where the 2 screws were to allow it to be removed)
6) You will Notice that the Shaft was on BOTH sides of the throttle plate, what you want to do is remove the Half of shaft that WITH OUT the treads, the treaded side MUST NOT be cut.
7) NOW you have half a shaft left, hench the name "half shafting" you can put it back together now.
8) You can shorten the 2 screws by 3-threads now and USE Loctite blue on the 2 screws when you re install them to hold the throttle plate to make sure they stay put.

Half Shafting

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TPS......

PJ-4.2L said:
The dangers of free mods...

Guys, unplug the TPS. If it acts the same way as before, then it's the TPS. Also the TV cable is crucial for AOD operation-- make sure it's on correctly and adjusted properly.

All I can say to you guys is live and learn. You should have done the mod with a spare instead of your primary piece. Just in case, I am auctioning an intake with T-body on Ebay-- check the classifieds.

PJ

I pulled off my TB again today to check out the TPS, the screws are on there quite well and I couldn't get them off so I just decided to see if I could look inside from the hole on the othe side of the TB, it worked. I saw that there are slots where the end of the shaft can slip in to, if I can get a long enough flat head screw driver and move it back to where the shaft fits in to it I will be just fine....I don't think that the shaft is going all the way into it unless it's got some type of spring mechanism that pushes it to a certain spot when there is no pressure on it.....I will try it....and let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
blah

well folks just got done with that job.......the piece inside the TPS is spring loaded.....it doesnt matter how the shaft fits into it......i dont know what the problem is.....i am kinda thinking its actually my IAC......i disconnected the TPS and IAC and the car has acceleration at highway speeds now.....but not like it did before i did this......1st and 2nd gear pull a bit more but after that its nothing.....its probably taking away from performance after 2nd gear..... i think i am just going to buy a new TB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts