TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cobra ham radio and PA that I want to put in my van. I want to put a loudspeaker on top of the van, on the front, as an outside PA. I also want the regular functional ham radio part. Does anybody know a site regarding this, and where to get the loudspeaker? Think like a political campaigning van that has the loudspeaker. If anybody's seen Black Sheep, the one Chris Farley has in the beginning....Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And whoops, I guess I should have said what my problem was. I'm not sure how to power it, there is a power outlet that I need to hook up to the battery somehow...

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
Cobra CB Ham Radio? WtF? Unless its a Export, its not a ham radio.

Ham is outside the CB Spectrum. And it is unlawful to operate a Ham Radio @ Ham RF Power in the CB Frequencie Ranges.

But on the "PA" Part, it just requires a standard loudspeaker, non-amplified, it will use the internal amplifier inside the radio to power it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I caught that after I made the topic. It is indeed a CB, I didn't mean ham. And I didn't mean to power the speaker, I meant to power the actual cb. Thanks

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
If it's just an automotive CB radio, you just have to ground the black wire and hook the red wire to the positive side of the battery.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. Now, my major concern is the placement of the external speaker. I originally planned on mounting it to the front roof, but I begun to think of things.

1. People messing with it
2. It's legality
3. The drag it would create on the highway.

Now, 1 and 2 aren't major factors, but 3 definately is. I heard about some people mounting smaller ones in the engine bay? Thanks for the replies so far

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, cool guys, I'll find a way to mount it outside of sight somewhere. Hey Cali, how many watts is yours? You think 70 watts is enough or overkill or what? Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
bill-murray said:
Okay, I'm in kind of a dilemna. I can get one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-POWER-CORD-w-LIGHTER-PLUG-for-CB-Ham-Radio_W0QQitemZ5855904556QQcategoryZ48696QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

to power it, but I kind of want the outlet open to power other stuff too. Should I just do this, or should I just find some way to hook it right up to the batter? I'm going for ease mainly. Thanks
grab some power from the fuse box in the car. There should be an open circut there that you can fuse and attach the wires there..

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had pa's in all my cars. All you have to do i s go to radioshack an buy a external pa speaker, wire an universal headphone jack. There is a port on the back of the cb that says pa or extrenal speaker use the pa port. Mine is hidden in the engine bay. Be careful you will be gettin into trouble!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I don't have a problem powering or rigging up the speaker. I have trouble powering the actual cb. A guy on another forum wired it into his windshield wiper fuse slot. What amp fuse would I use? I'm using the Cobra 29 BTW

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thats a good radio. I wired mine uner the counsel into the cig lighter

·
Registered
156 Posts
You should be able to get away with a 2.5 or 5 amp fuse.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, I'll use a 5. Which slot should I put it in? Just any empty ones, or what? Sorry if my questions are pretty lame, I just have no fuse experience. Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah if theres not a holder on the wire u can get them at radio shack an just slpice it in the wire from the cb.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Heh, I used to have a cobra 29, had the weather band receiver, nightwatch illumination, soundtracker, and I had it modified to twice it's legal RF output. Not really anyone to talk to around here, plus I didn't want a huge fine if I got caught with my illegal power mods, so...no more radio. But it was a good radio...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Connecting the radio's 12v wires to any 12v source under the dash will work, and be convenient so the radio will turn off when the ignition is turned off in case you forget, BUT will allow more noise from the ignition system, wiper motor, turn signals, etc. If it is wired directly to the battery with a fuse, you will not get as much noise from the electrical system in the radio. The only down side to this, is if you forget to turn off the radio, it will drain your battery over a extended period. I have been a Ham Radio operator since 1976 and have a $2,000 system in my daily driver wired to the battery with fuses.

Here is a shot of my tower in the yard.

I am almost as passionate about Ham Radio as I am about Fast Cars :) The tower is 90 ft tall.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts