TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, which hand held scan tool would everyone here recommend? I am looking for something not too expensive which would be able to link up to my 2007 mazda cx9. All input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Code reader or scan tool ?? You can buy a code reader capable of reading your codes for about $40, if you want more detailed descriptions on the codes and the ability to read ( limited ) freeze frame data, expect to pay over $100. You wont be able to read real time data though, just codes, and monitor readiness. Big difference between a code reader and an actual Scan tool.

The Snap On diagnostics Scan tools I have used are upwards of $6000 .. the new one we got to demo has wifi built in so you can get alldata on the tool, and wireless functions to monitor sensors without having to actually be near the car, thats about $10,000.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I bought the obdcom system that hooks up to a laptop it worked very well. I have since upgraded to obdlink with enhanced ford parameters for scanning to get transmission codes as well but for the money the obdcom was better than any hand held unit I have had, and I have had a few.
Alan

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Autel makes a wide variety of tools from basic to advanced, I haven't heard anything bad about them. This is the one I have --> Actron CP9580

I highly recommend you just go to Amazon, sort by best reviews and check them out. You can see the good ones, bad ones, and pricing, you can pick based on reviews & budget easily, here you go --> Code Readers sorted by highest rating

I always check out Amazon when buying stuff, even if I don't buy from there. Usually there are lots of reviews to tell you if a product is really good or not.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at an autel md802 which does engine, transmission, abs and srs for around 350. Is this a good deal. It has the live engine data and freeze frame and I believe graphing as well. This was in amazon.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I bought my Actron CP9580 from the local Advance Auto. It also reads the ABS codes, which has twice come in handy for me.

It seems to be a nice mid-price range reader.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the help. I will be keeping an eye out for a used one. The new ones especially the autel 802 are a little bit over my price range, but i like that it does the tranny, abs and srs as well as the engine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i picked up one of these recently mostly because i wanted the capabilities of ob1 scanning as well as obd 2, as at the time i was considering buying an 86 mustang.

http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3140-Diagnostic-Reader-Vehicles/dp/B000R3SNJU/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1380501237&sr=1-2&keywords=obd1+scan+tools

i found mine there for less than $80 shipped. keep an eye out for used ones, right now they are over $180.
Thats the one I've been considering (since my car is ODB1) - how do you like it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thats the one I've been considering (since my car is ODB1) - how do you like it?
i like mine, though i havent used it much. the really nice thing is that it has all the obd 1 adapters, and the book that comes with the tool will tell you every obd 1 car it covers, including early EEClV cars with CFI injection. one of the adapters is for the toyota obd 1, and they have two different connectors on their systems, so innova built a Y connector with both ends on it, so you have both toyota connectors covered. the other cool thing is all the adapters are not only color coded, but also have which automaker they cover cast into the adapter. and it is internet updateable you just need a serial cable to USB port adapter. get a fast one for best results. http://www.diyautotune.com/ sells one that would work nicely as it was designed for speed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts