TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious about the numbers (g's) for a 1996 or 1997 4.6L (no sport option).

Is the car considered a "good handler?" Just curious.. And how can we improve our driving on road courses?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Any non-sport model will not handle nearly as well as any sport model. The sport model includes bigger anti-roll bars, better springs, shocks, and bigger wheels. Some even came with automatic ride control (a neat feature!).

You can improve your handling by getting bigger rims and wider tires. Check out the deals the TCCoA has on anti-roll bars... Addco I think makes em. Look for lowering springs and better shocks as well. Subframe connectors will help also.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drivex said:
Any non-sport model will not handle nearly as well as any sport model. The sport model includes bigger anti-roll bars, better springs, shocks, and bigger wheels. Some even came with automatic ride control (a neat feature!).

You can improve your handling by getting bigger rims and wider tires. Check out the deals the TCCoA has on anti-roll bars... Addco I think makes em. Look for lowering springs and better shocks as well. Subframe connectors will help also.
I see. Will I notice BIG changes with just wheels alone? (possible purchase coming up)

I noticed handling numbers are told in Gs.. How does that work?

What happens when a car has a body roll or oversteers? (You can see I have no clue what these terms mean)

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
body roll is how much the car rocks back and forth when you turn the wheel...oversteer is described here...under suspension on the tech articles on the home page is lots of info on suspesion...and when they measure cornering and other stuff is G's...thats gravity...how much gravity your body experiences under the conditions

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
drivex said:
Some even came with automatic ride control (a neat feature!).
No they didn't. Only Supercoupes and 3.8SC XR7s got ARC.

You'd be surprized how much a driver can make up for, my 96 is not a sport (and has stock suspension) and can take a right street corner at ~45mph (single lane)

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
.82gs for non-sport
.86 gs for sport

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
where did u find that info for handling on a non-sport model.

·
8,239 Posts
GreenBird said:

You'd be surprized how much a driver can make up for, my 96 is not a sport (and has stock suspension) and can take a right street corner at ~45mph (single lane)
Matt is right, but just for the record, the 1991 Mercury Cougar XR7 with the 5.0V8 did indeed have ARC. But no LX tbird ever got it.

:)

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
In a book containing all 1996 car data. Whether the #s are accurate or not, I am not getting into that!

·
Registered
139 Posts
GreenBird said:

a stock tbird taking a 90 degree corner at ~45 mph???
:bs:

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
All and all for the size/type of car these things are ('89-97 t-birds, no matter what suspension or engine) handle pretty darn good...

and i agree.. the ride control wasn't just a Supercharged V6 car option :) also rumor has it ride control was a option for the '92 XR7s..

and just like in mexico there's '93 XR7's with the 3.8SC engine :)

and maybe it's 45MPH turning left?? :)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
GreenBird said:

Nope. My 91 5.0 XR7 came with it.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
JustinH said:

Matt is right, but just for the record, the 1991 Mercury Cougar XR7 with the 5.0V8 did indeed have ARC. But no LX tbird ever got it.

:)
Oops.. guess I should read the entire thread first.

Woohoo! I rule!

·
11,719 Posts
Didn't realize they carried the ARC beyond a year or two on the XR7s.

As for BS? If you keep practicing, you can do it too. I've taken the same corner at 35mph in a Jeep Wrangler (stock). It's all about getting the right line.

·
11,719 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:
Will I notice BIG changes with just wheels alone? (possible purchase coming up)
When I took my stock 15" LX wheels off and put on 16" sport rims the handling was a lot quicker. You could definitely tell the tires were not rolling over as much.

·
Registered
510 Posts
According to motor trend: 1994 Tbird w/215-70-15 .73G on the skidpad

According to car & driver: 1996 tbird w/225-60-16 .86 on the skidpad (sport model)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Air Force said:

a stock tbird taking a 90 degree corner at ~45 mph???
:bs:
i also say BS i have a 1989 supercoupe myself and if i tried to go around a 90 degree corner at 45mph im definatly going to pull alot of oversteer and he also said 1 lane so i agree with the :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
W.Cup said:
According to motor trend: 1994 Tbird w/215-70-15 .73G on the skidpad

According to car & driver: 1996 tbird w/225-60-16 .86 on the skidpad (sport model)
s

Is .86 really good? What's a skidpad by the way?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts