TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 43" Plasma TV, and was wanting to mount it on the wall above my fire place. I was reading online, that the ambient heat of the fire place may cause damage to the unit, but only if the TV was on. Therefore, if the TV is off and I have a fire going, I have nothing to worry about... or so I read! However, when I am home, the TV is usually turned on. So in the winter, I can either watch TV or I can have a fire going! heheh I wonder which I would pick! Anyway... I was just curious if anyone else has this set up? If so, have you encountered any problems?

-Kornhaus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
Putting it in the fireplace is a bad idea. Close to the fireplace is not a good idea. Putting it in my house where there is no fireplace is a good idea. Trouble is when you do hi-end, you have to build the room around the system. Then the wife screams she wants her house back, but that ain't goin' to happen.
 

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
Heat + Electronics (on or off) is BAD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
it'll be alright, and if not just buy another plasma!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
What about ash getting into the components???

anything with fire & electonics just dont mix
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
890 Posts
Depending on how it is mounted, I would worry about heat transferring from the chimney through the mount into the TV.

Also, that would have to be the worst place to put it as far as the screen getting dirty from the smoke and particles, even if you can't see if happening.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,983 Posts
I wouldn't do it just in case but it might be fine. And if you do you might be able to find or make a slip cover for it so when you did use the fireplace you just cover the screen. Something, if not already made out of a cotton on the part that touches the screen but if it is too close to the fireplace then it might catch fire.

Heat can make plastics warp. So test it out. Make a fire (In the fire place) and touch the mantle or wall above after a good few minutes at it burning full force. See if it is warm at all. If it is I wouldn't put the TV there for sure.

Good luck. If it doesnt work out let me know and I will come and take the TV from you. My apartment doesnt have a fireplace :D
 

·
Whining Intakes Rock
Joined
·
3,645 Posts
I had a fireplace in my house in Vermont, it doesn't get that hot above the fireplace to warp anything. If it did, you'd have your house on fire in no time.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
I have had a oil based painting over my fireplace for four (4) years now. Even if the wife forgets to open the vent all the way and lets in a little smoke in the painting has been fine.

The mantel should deflect the radiant heat enough to prevent damage to a TV/ art work. Now if you were going to place it next to the fireplace or you had a cast iron mantel I would second-guess the install idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
I dont know why anyone would want a tv about the fireplace but hey, different strokes. The only thing i'd be concerned about is excess dust and smoke getting into the tv. A guy can always mount a small fan above the tv and blow down on it. keeping heat, dust and smoke down to a minimum. Just a thought
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
I've seen it done in a couple houses in a home show here a while back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
789 Posts
First of all, if your fireplace is venting properly, you shouldn't get ash/smoke in the house except when maybe lighting it. If the doors are closed, you should get a good vent as the heat pulls the air through.

Secondly, a mantle will diffuse more radiant heat.

Third, build a fire, even if it's hot outside..., good roaring one, hang a thermometer where you want the TV. Let's say it gets to 90 deg. (prob less) Look in the TV's manual. What's the safe operating and storage temp? If it's in that range, you're safe.

My chimney wall stay's cold even if I have a roaring fire.

Finally, LCD's are better than plasma. Go swap it out. Plasma's will burn out in 6-9 yrs of regular use, and LCD's backlight can be replaced. My brother's 60" LCD HD Sony Vega looks great
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,075 Posts
CaliHwyPatrol said:
That plasma burning out deal is a rumor, and more accurately is not true.
Not true. The first generation of plasma tv's were prone to burning out, but the technology has since far advanced and you can now easily get the same lifespan out of an LCD or plasma that you can out of a conventional CRT television.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top