TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Happy 420 day; I'm jealous as hell. :)

I can only hope that the force of reason spreads to this end of the country; but based on the last election, I expect to continue to be disappointed.

Enjoy for me!!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 94 SC has seen better days ..

Gunn replaced the Synchronizers in his M5R2 on Superbowl weekend.

So I decided to have a look over the three 94/95 M5R2's that have been sitting for a while - one of these will be going into the 94 SC.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
What happend to the one thats in the car? It seemed good when you were driving it. I dont think my stock AOD can burn that much rubber without breaking something. I think your 94 is your best T-Bird, it has a good engine in it. It has a few minor problems with it but I think you should keep it. Im having fun driving mine but lately ive been going through too many brake pads. I plan on getting PBR's soon, im tired of taking them back to autozone and using the warrenty every month. Hey is that pic your plant? If so that looks nice!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My buddy traded his 2017 Shelby GT350R for a 2017 Shelby GT350R ... the one with the red emblem / stripes / brakes .. is the newer one with the track package ( Rear seat delete, etc .. ). I thought he had replaced the spoiler at first until I noticed it was a completely different car.

You parked in a mud puddle. It show's how much you care about that car. I hope for your car's sake it's got some decent floor mats.
I know .. out of all the places, he had to park right next to the lake in my driveway. Shows how much he cares about this car. The runoff is from all the dirt I washed off my Chevy

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Got stoned yesterday. Somehow the chips on the hood didn't seem to matter so much. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Every day is 4:20 at my place. Thank God for Thunder Birds. I never dreamed I'd love a 1997, but Stella is beyond compare.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What happend to the one thats in the car? It seemed good when you were driving it. I dont think my stock AOD can burn that much rubber without breaking something. I think your 94 is your best T-Bird, it has a good engine in it. Im having fun driving mine but lately ive been going through too many brake pads. I plan on getting PBR's soon, im tired of taking them back to autozone and using the warrenty every month. Hey is that pic your plant? If so that looks nice!

Nothing wrong with the one in the car - everything feels fine since I replaced the sloppy factory shifter with a B&M. It does grind a bit going into reverse sometimes, but all forward gears are great. The current M5R2 is an early style with a steeper gear ratio, paired with my 3.31 rear end makes 1st gear very short. I have a small collection of parts to update the entire drivetrain, so might as well have a fresh late model trans ready to go with everything else.
Sounds like a problem, your brakes shouldn't be wearing that fast. PBR's in the least, make sure you buy nice pads / new rotors .. even front hub bearings if you want to go all out. The pic was sent to me from a friend I met in college, OG Kush .. its from the last harvest. He wants to meet up and drink some beers. :wink2:

Got stoned yesterday. Somehow the chips on the hood didn't seem to matter so much. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Every day is 4:20 at my place. Thank God for Thunder Birds. I never dreamed I'd love a 1997, but Stella is beyond compare.
LOL, so it was yesterday .. and every day including today ?? Good to hear .. I wasn't exactly intending this to be a "420" post, it just happened to be 4:20 on 4/20 .. I'm just wasting my time polishing a turd. No pun intended. >:) I left something when I polished these headlights if anybody can spot it.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
I cant find what you left in the pic, I wonder what it is. The old 3.8 top looks alot bigger then the new one, are you going to make your engine have a more shiney look?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cant find what you left in the pic, I wonder what it is. The old 3.8 top looks alot bigger then the new one, are you going to make your engine have a more shiney look?
I polished it so much it shrank in size - more weight savings. :wink2: ... I have a few things id like to make shine, but not the engine in the car now.

>:) I LEFT something when I polished these headlights if anybody can spo TIT.

I have the first two M5R2's broken down. These are both previously rebuilt units, look to be in decent use-able condition after I clean them up - I'm looking to do complete overhaul with new bearings / synchros on at least one. Not sure I would ever need a "backup", its not like I'm driving my car in a lemons race. :surprise:

The 3rd one is giving me a bit of trouble, filled with a thick layer of red sludge - I'm not sure what this is.

Can anybody identify this foreign substance ?? its definitely not something I have ever seen in my life, it may be harmful to California emissions and I am truly concerned that I may have to redeem the $22.00 scrap value. :crying:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
Around here we call that stuff “rust”. Basically that trans sat with water in it for a while. If you are doing a full rebuild, the gears and shafts are probably fine, but I’m sure all the bearings and synchros are shot in it.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I have a friend with a condo near hippie hill in Golden Gate Park and she studiously avoids the **** show that is 420 day (this year, she paid to change her return flight so she wouldn't have to deal with the drama in her neighborhood).

Personally, if pot is legal throughout the whole damn state, I have no idea why people will drive in from out of town just to smoke up on a stupid hill with a constant drum circle going on in the background in a huge cloud/crowd.
There's no need for this holiday anymore.

-g

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Isn't it still technically illegal on public property? I though it was only legal on private property, ie: a business or a residence, just like alcohol.

I remember seeing on TV people getting arrested in CO at one of those public gatherings. They had mis-interpreted the law, which on that subject can be tricky.

Al

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
My hotel room number on this trip .... ???

... You guessed it! 420 :tongue:

That is all.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Isn't it still technically illegal on public property? I though it was only legal on private property, ie: a business or a residence, just like alcohol.

I remember seeing on TV people getting arrested in CO at one of those public gatherings. They had mis-interpreted the law, which on that subject can be tricky.

Al
Correct. Not in public.
Pot 101: Facts you should know about California?s legal marijuana | PolitiFact California

I don't believe SFPD messes with you unless
a) you are homeless and your stuff+poop is on the sidewalk already (yes, literal poop) and
b) if you go to these gatherings WITH your <18yr old kid (which also IMO makes you an ahole for exposing them to that much second hand smoke).

-g

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Around here we call that stuff “rust”. Basically that trans sat with water in it for a while. If you are doing a full rebuild, the gears and shafts are probably fine, but I’m sure all the bearings and synchros are shot in it.
Must have been at least two quarts of rust water that drained out. Seems like most of the bearings are shot in all of these trans. I'm only going to rebuild one - not sure what to do with the other two at this time.

I have a friend with a condo near hippie hill in Golden Gate Park and she studiously avoids the **** show that is 420 day (this year, she paid to change her return flight so she wouldn't have to deal with the drama in her neighborhood).

Personally, if pot is legal throughout the whole damn state, I have no idea why people will drive in from out of town just to smoke up on a stupid hill with a constant drum circle going on in the background in a huge cloud/crowd.
There's no need for this holiday anymore.

-g
You know they close some stores in Santa Cruz to observe the holiday. LOL My co-worker has a 17yo daughter who left school early on 4/20 .. he ended up driving to SF to find her at hippy hill. Just one more reason for me to avoid SF.

Al
Illegal in view of the public - same as drinking alcohol, but everybody does it anyways. Just don't go smoke in front of City Hall, the Superior Court, etc ..

My hotel room number on this trip .... ???

... You guessed it! 420 :tongue:

That is all.
Awesome coincidence >:)

Correct. Not in public.
Pot 101: Facts you should know about California?s legal marijuana | PolitiFact California

I don't believe SFPD messes with you unless
a) you are homeless and your stuff+poop is on the sidewalk already (yes, literal poop) and
b) if you go to these gatherings WITH your <18yr old kid (which also IMO makes you an ahole for exposing them to that much second hand smoke).

-g
a) Did I tell you the story about the homeless guy in a parking garage in SF that took a **** while walking ?? Didn't even break a sweat, just dropped his pants a bit, pooped out a turd, pulled his pants up - all while walking like nothing happened. I **** you not. :grin2:

b) legal age is 21, but yeah .. I know a lot of people who were smoking pot with their parents far before turning 18. Besides, second hand weed smoke isn't the same as cigarette smoke. But you always know when somebody is vaping whatever the **** that is in that ****.

Pics below - fixed the problem with my SS Trailblazer - it would randomly die and then start right back up. Tracked it down to a break at the bend in the the copper trace wire inside the fuse box sandwich that supplies power to the ECM. The fuse box is obsolete from the dealership and even then its a $600+ part .. fixed mine for $0.20, two feet of 20 ga. solid copper doorbell wire - I got an extra foot, just in case. :wink2:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I've never seen a fuse block with punchdowns...

That blows my mind.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
That must have been super annoying to find the short on -- esp if it was an intermittent issue.
How did you know that the short was in the fusebox itself and NOT upstream of it or is this a not-uncommon issue found with trailblazers?
-g

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
It looks to me like it broke at the bend, on the right, going back vertical.

Copper expands and contracts, based on how much current it conducts; so those stress risers will all break, eventually.

Are our fuseboxen made like that?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
That must have been super annoying to find the short on -- esp if it was an intermittent issue.
How did you know that the short was in the fusebox itself and NOT upstream of it or is this a not-uncommon issue found with trailblazers?
-g
Yeah that's why I had the SS in the garage when you stopped by - tracking down intermittent open circuits like this one. I couldn't get it to do it at the house, it only happened two or three times before ( when I wasn't driving of course ) .. and that was after a few hours of driving. This is actually a common problem - I told my lady we could start an online repair service on Ebay - ship us your old core, and I send you out a "refurbished" unit with a new $0.10 piece of wire installed, easy money I just don't have time. :surprise:

a) I did get a code P1682 - which pointed me to the ignition switch circuit voltage. An online search came up with many people having the dealership replace the part ( cheap, only $50 ) and then having the problem come back a few months later .. :frown2:

b) Since I have a spare Trailblazer, I swapped the ignition switch like everybody else had been doing except I saved $50 only to find out that the switch itself wasn't the problem. I did a bit of wire testing at the ignition switch harness, but everything checked out OK since it wasn't under the right conditions to open the circuit inside the fuse box. :|

c) This is the point where I gave up on the "search" and called my buddy Greg who works an independent shop to see if he ever came across anything like this - he mentioned the fuse box and he found some videos on youtube - which were amusing to watch, but I didn't need a 15 minute explanation, just to see that the box is sandwiched together with pressed in bosses that had to be drilled :nerd:

d) Took it apart, measured the old wire, picked up two feet 20ga. doorbell wire at the hardware store ( the only size that fits inside the tracts when it all goes back together ) , my daughter measured it out, came out to about 2.5 feet, but whose counting. 0:)

e) Easy money. :wink2:

It looks to me like it broke at the bend, on the right, going back vertical.

Copper expands and contracts, based on how much current it conducts; so those stress risers will all break, eventually.

Are our fuseboxen made like that?
There are a couple similar bends on the board with shorter runs, but I suspect like you said - the length of this wire makes it expand more on this bend in particular which is why it fails on many vehicles, in the same exact spot, would you believe that?? Maybe if I gave a little relief and ground out a bit of the tract so it has room to move. This is a 2007, so I figure it lasted 10 years and if it happens again I can always repair or bypass it. This circuit supplies power to the PCM relay - pretty sure it carries a good amount of current.

Our fuse boxes are like cases for wire harness connector - directly under the fuse is a female spade to the harness. The splices between major wire bundles are all over the place ( in front along the radiator, back through the dash, connecting the PCM to the fuse box, to the engine, etc .. ) - the circuit board inside the fuse box makes the Chevy harness more modular - so the engine harness / PCM just plugs into the Fuse box module and not the "engine bay wiring harness assembly". My alternative solution was to splice the two wires going into the fuse box but that would make those connectors less "modular" .. unless I put a connector to connect those then it could be disconnected. Hmmm. I just looked at my 95 SC fuse box and found a melted connector / cooked 80 amp fuse and a burnt up wire .. always something to fix around here, its like a puzzle solving game, I just have to figure out which one to play with..

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
To completely prevent that, make an S-bend; you may have to cut out some plastic, but if it can move a little it won't fail.

Hit all the punchdown joints with lead solder, make sure it wets, and they are permanent too.

Lead solder, 60/40, has the most give.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts