TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
To completely prevent that, make an S-bend; you may have to cut out some plastic, but if it can move a little it won't fail.

Hit all the punchdown joints with lead solder, make sure it wets, and they are permanent too.

Lead solder, 60/40, has the most give.
I dont think I would be going that far. I might still have some lead solder around somewhere if I really look for it. You cant even buy this stuff at the stores here anymore, I would need to do an online search to find some. Its all Tin/Antimony / low lead content. I asked the electricians at work what they thought and they said they would have just dropped a bead of solder in that crack - but I'm thinking, better to replace it with a solid wire and make adjustments to relieve the expansion stress.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This last weekend .. Moved the 94 SC into the garage. Need to pick up a battery, this one doesn't hold a charge anymore. Has a Check Engine light also.
Still debating on the direction I want to take with this car - for the most part Ive kept it completely original except for the wheels but then I started stripping weight off the car and this is where it sits as is - in need of a lot of small repairs.

Teardown on the M5R2 continues, this one looks to be in pretty decent condition as is - except for the input shaft bearing. Might swap out the input shaft for the other one, but id like to replace the bearings / seals.

Finally finished the teardown on the rustbucket m5r2, If I clean it all up now and throw it back together, it should be a decent "extra spare"

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
... I might still have some lead solder around somewhere if I really look for it. You cant even buy this stuff at the stores here anymore...
You're right; I forgot.

I started to say I'll mail you some; but you being in CA, that could be a Major Crime, lol.

What a world.

:)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You're right; I forgot.

I started to say I'll mail you some; but you being in CA, that could be a Major Crime, lol.

What a world.

:)
No that would be totally legit .. there is a ton of lead here, especially all that **** they ship from china. Its just not legal for use on drinking water, everything has to be "low lead" content and that's a Federal requirement also.

I just haven't seen any lead solder for electronics but then again I wasn't really looking in the first place. The punchdown parts seem to be OK, its just that one circuit that fails in the same exact spot on all of these fuse boxes.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
No that would be totally legit .. there is a ton of lead here, especially all that **** they ship from china. Its just not legal for use on drinking water, everything has to be "low lead" content and that's a Federal requirement also.

I just haven't seen any lead solder for electronics but then again I wasn't really looking in the first place. The punchdown parts seem to be OK, its just that one circuit that fails in the same exact spot on all of these fuse boxes.
I can comment on the lead solder for electronics: They moved to lead-free soldering ~2006 when most PCB mfg (the boards in electronics) went to lead free because of ROHS. Once commercial production went lead-free, the hobbyist stuff went that way as well. Personally I think this is a good idea considering how many PCBs end up in dumps worldwide (even in CA and most states aren't nearly as zealous about recycling as we are here). Its good for our kids and what did we give up? Leaded solder is slightly easier to solder and some products had earlier than expected failure rates as companies got up to speed during the transition on how to deal with (or compensate for) lead free soldering. Key example: the infamous RROD in the XBOX 360. https://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xbox-360-defects-an-inside-history-of-microsofts-video-game-console-woes/view-all/
I can totally buy into this nanny-state program.

In comparison though, I'm far more skeptical about the push towards lead-free bullets for hunting. The stated reasoning behind banning leaded bullets is ostensibly to protect the dumbass california condor - an endangered species. Man shoots varmit or game animal. Condor eats dead varmit or game animal gutpile. Condor ingests too much lead and dies. While it's clear that the condors were dying from lead toxicity, the source was never conclusively proven to be leaded bullets. However, condors also eat lots of other shiny things like leaded tire weights and sinkers (both of which have gone lead free -- or almost lead free -- in CA the last 8 or so years.) It didn't matter though as the anti-gun people used it anyway as a way to really push their anti-gun agenda.
http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/species/birds/California_condor/pdfs/Johnson-et-al-2007-DFG-Report.pdf

I had to get an FFL06 to custom load me a box of 7.5 Swiss with copper bullets so I could take this gun out hunting AND for a while lead-free 22LR simply didn't exist and therefore those guns couldn't be shot in a good chunk of southern california.
/RANT over
-g

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I had to get an FFL06 to custom load me a box of 7.5 Swiss with copper bullets so I could take this gun out hunting AND for a while lead-free 22LR simply didn't exist and therefore those guns couldn't be shot in a good chunk of southern california.
/RANT over
-g
Crap! I hope that Law never makes it out here.

You need an FFL to load ammo? I apparently know a lot of criminals, lol.

IDK that; or is that a CA thing?

The lead free solder thing I've dealt with as a production issue; I've moved two companies over the years to RoHS and now REACH compliance.

It's great for manufacturers; **** fails for sure with lead-free solder after awhile.

10 years seems to be a dropoff point. :)

Tin Dendrites, thermal cycling, poor solder finish, making it harder to see defects that exist; it's been a shitshow for the industry. :)

That's why the military still uses lead solder, lol.

Processors and graphic chips are especially bad; heat and pressure (heatsink) make all these problems worse.

And, you have a chip with 1000 leads, only one of which has to go bad. :)

Good times, lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,555 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
My **** is solid. No leaks. :wink2:
Nice work!

I was talking about Electronics use.

Although, hot water temperature cycling may still be an issue; I'll write a paper about it for IEEE if it fails in my place, lol.

I did copper here; I'd way rather solder a 3/4" pipe than an 0201 resistor.

0201 means 20 mills by 10 mills; you need good tools and a microscope for those, lol.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Nice work! So you put that stuff together for a living?
Yeah pretty much anything to do with mechanical piping systems but I am a Steam Fitter by trade. All of these pictures are from the last few weeks of work. One day I might be behind a wall making a connection to the chilled water mains for an Air handler at a server farm (pic 1), on the weekend I'm at a crane pick lifting a few boiler skids onto the roof (pic 2), then the next week I am at another job piping up a split system refrigeration / heat pump. It keeps me busy working on a variety of things to keep my interest from losing steam and I get paid for what I enjoy doing - fabrication. >:)

Nice work!

I was talking about Electronics use.

Although, hot water temperature cycling may still be an issue; I'll write a paper about it for IEEE if it fails in my place, lol.

I did copper here; I'd way rather solder a 3/4" pipe than an 0201 resistor.

0201 means 20 mills by 10 mills; you need good tools and a microscope for those, lol.
Yeah I know, Ive done a lot of electronics soldering also but just as a hobby. When I hear Solder, I'm thinking pipe. We only warranty for one year after commissioning, but most of these tech companies around here have been completely re-modeling their buildings every 10 years or less.

Smallest pipe Ive done is 1/4" OD (***** pipe), biggest 36" ID ... I prefer brazing to soldering, its actually a weld process because of the higher temperatures necessary but most people would call it "silver soldering". But now my eyes are going bad from all this SMAW welding.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Drove up to the Nor-Cal Holden BBQ this weekend in Martinez, Ca. Quite a few GTO's, G8's and SS's showed up, Ute conversion, and the local police officer with a Caprice PPV fit right in . So-Cal Holden meets up next month at the Anaheim stadium with an autocross event.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Made the 800 mile round trip to Anaheim stadium for the AutoX this weekend, I will get a count later but there must have been about 50+ GTO, G8 and SS's showed up.

Just a couple shots I took (my camera phone sucks, I need to upgrade or just steal somebody elses pictures online )
Traffic in LA is horrible, the hills are still on fire and my car is covered in dead bugs. :crying:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Stripped off a bit more dead weight from the front end - AC condenser/ Lines, Airbag crash sensors, Washer fluid bottle, Fog lights, Horn, Pusher fan, etc .. ( I have a pretty large pile of "dead weight" Ive pulled from the rest of the car )

Installed 1997 headlamp panel, foam and bumper cover is temporarily installed to get it back into shape. Im not sure I like that the openings in the front bumper support don't match the openings in the bumper / foam - looks like more dead weight to me but I don't want to hack into it, so a little bit of black paint might go a long way.

Now This is a real EVTM, anybody ever use one of these ?? They're so big and impractical, but its the best way to trace out a complete circuit instead of flipping between splices on pages.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Looks nice with the new bumper, I want too see how it turns out once its all done. I didnt know there was a secret EVTM book, I need to find one for my car.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Damn you, dDUBb!

On two fronts; now I've seen a Mustang I like. Arggggggggggh!

:rofl:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Installed fire extinguisher, 6 point racing harness and lower mounting bracket into the Cobra. Just found out that one of my buddies father owns a pretty nice Cobra that I may be checking out in the next couple weeks .. will share more later.

Fusion welding poly-propylene pipe for lab waste/vent at a certain space administration facility. Going to be doing some poly-pro socket fusion for a purified water system soon, then Lab gas and tool air will be brazed copper, they are all considered weld processes.

Looks like my "hot pepper" plants are starting to come up .. >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Rock guards installed behind the front wheels might help a little bit but I still think it needs tape or plastic to project the paint at the track.

The full 6 point harness all buckled up

Modified the rear seat bolt covers to fit with the harness lower bracket

Attachments

21 - 40 of 57 Posts