TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Happy New Year to all. Hope you all have a Healthy Happy New Year and get to spend time with the ones you Love. Family Friends. I posted here before and Talked to Matt. (Nice Guy) As he gave me good intel even though my bird is not covered here. Wish it could be a super coupe Turbo but it's what I got. Matt told me that most speed parts for 1972 Torino will bolt right up. I picked up this old girl from a buddy after much haggling. The tranny is bad and being rebuilt now.

Some say never reuse old torque converter. My builder says it's fine but with later engine mods I think it would be best to put a new one and a little more aggressive stall. She's a heavy old girl so what would you guys recommend? I don't see more than 400 hp later on when I can afford to do the motor so I am thinking I should just put the higher stall in now.

Also. I would love to put a floor shift in but then we are back to cutting holes and stuff. Your thoughts. Now is the time to make these decisions.

It's a fat ride but how much fun is it to pull that shifter back and bang the cogs. I need to change the rear gear later on but was thinking about those rear upper and lower arms on the 9 inch. I could go cheap and just box them in myself and put poly bushings in there. Also would like to lower front end a little. Who sells 2 inch drop spindles? Where's the best deal?? I want to get on task here but the car is up here in the great north and I can only work on her when the weather is warmer. So my thoughts are now is the time to collect parts. Speaking of parts. Holy Moly have the prices gone up. I remember buying an intake for 125 dollars. Not now. Crazy man Crazy. Even a carb cost you an arm and leg.

Peace on earth Happy New Year. Thanks for taking time to read my post. Jerry in Erie Pa.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Welcome!

I agree that a higher stall converter will get that heavy car moving, and you won't have to go as low on the rear gear.

I would keep the shifter on the column as there has been only one muscle car factory shifter that I've been impressed with (Mopar slapstick). All the others are mushy, and you can easily overshift two gears instead of one. Plus, they are typically not in the ergonomic position that we've become accustomed to with modern cars. Unless you have the seat forward all the way.

400 HP? I would set your sights a little lower if you're using a 1979 302. A lot lower, lol!

Al

Reactions: eriejerry and Grog6

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome!

I agree that a higher stall converter will get that heavy car moving, and you won't have to go as low on the rear gear.

I would keep the shifter on the column as there has been only one muscle car factory shifter that I've been impressed with (Mopar slapstick). All the others are mushy, and you can easily overshift two gears instead of one. Plus, they are typically not in the ergonomic position that we've become accustomed to with modern cars. Unless you have the seat forward all the way.

400 HP? I would set your sights a little lower if you're using a 1979 302. A lot lower, lol!

Al
Thanks Al. I had a 1966 years ago. Loved the car but divorces and life changes it had to go. Then I built some camaros and chevelles. I couldn't pass this old girl up but you are right. I don't want to cut her up she's a survivor. 1,800 to 2,200 stall I am thinking. Yes prob about 325 to 350 hp unless I go aluminum heads. Thanks for your input sir. Nice to chat

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Cant remember the last time anybody asked me where I could find the best deal on dropped spindles for a 1977 Thunderbird. LOL. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yeah .. car looks clean, don't cut holes in the body. Looks like a fun father / son project. (y)(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks dDUBd. Noted. No holes. Great news tranny is done. I have to flush the cooling lines as they are probably full of crap. She is a sweet old girl and I was lucky to find her or did she find me? Bunch of **** in pa enhanced inspection. I wanted classic plates but at the end of the day it will be about a grand to get it all cleared up. The car was left at my buddies shop. It sat for two and a half years. The guy wouldn't pay his bill so my buddy had to take the car so now I have to get all that fixed up but no holes in floors and that's just amazing for a car that lived it's life here in Erie pa. They use a lot of salt here. Thanks for posting. Cheers brother. Happy New Year to you and yours.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Antique plates have so many restrictions, they are not worthwhile, in most cases.
You can get a ticket just going to the store in it.

Reactions: eriejerry

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,485 Posts
Antique plates have so many restrictions, they are not worthwhile, in most cases.
You can get a ticket just going to the store in it.
They’re not strict about it here, and if they were it’s easy enough to run an inline toggle switch in the odo. drive motor?‍♂

Illinois bumped the registration fee another $50 this year(and increased the gas tax), so this might be the year I tell them to GFY and cheat the system, AND get a lisence plate that doesn’t look like it was designed by idiots.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Here, it's crazy.

You can only drive it Saturday, Sunday, and federal holidays, unless you're doing certain exempted things.

If a cop sees you drive it to the store grocery shopping, and straight home, you get a ticket.
It happened to a friend. :)
I think all in all, before he was done, it was over $2000.

"Must be a motor vehicle over twenty-five (25) years old and have a non-modified engine and body,
Can be used for participation in, or transportation to and from, club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar uses as a collector’s item,
Can only be used for general transportationon Saturdays,Sundays, and federal holidays.
Can be used on any day for the purpose of selling, vehicle testing, or obtaining repairs to or doing maintenance on the vehicle. "

The non-modified part is a problem too; all of my cars have something non-stock.

It only takes one ******* cop, and you're paying thousands in fines, and registration problems.

They went nuts on me one year because I put the wrong plates on the wrong Cougar; that's a felony if they want to be a hard ass. :)
He did drive by my house later that evening to see if I swapped them.

Reactions: eriejerry

·
Registered
120 Posts
I also agree with bumping up the stall speed a bit......IMHO, it is very important that you speak with the torque converter builder (whomever you choose and not a saleperson)....there are many factors that effect the actual rpm stall and they have the specific data to determine what you need....you can have a converter that is rated at 10" 1800 rpm & a 12" rated at 1800 rpm as well but the actual stall will be different (by several hundred RPM in the same car) and is based upon the specific design of the converter vs, vehicle weight, gearing, HP/TQ.....and only, and I want to reinforce only the mfg will know what that is.....

Typically in a street car, a stall in the range of 1400-1800 is appropriate, although you can bump this up a few hundred RPM.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,485 Posts
Here, it's crazy.

You can only drive it Saturday, Sunday, and federal holidays, unless you're doing certain exempted things.

If a cop sees you drive it to the store grocery shopping, and straight home, you get a ticket.
It happened to a friend. :)
I think all in all, before he was done, it was over $2000.

"Must be a motor vehicle over twenty-five (25) years old and have a non-modified engine and body,
Can be used for participation in, or transportation to and from, club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar uses as a collector’s item,
Can only be used for general transportationon Saturdays,Sundays, and federal holidays.
Can be used on any day for the purpose of selling, vehicle testing, or obtaining repairs to or doing maintenance on the vehicle. "

The non-modified part is a problem too; all of my cars have something non-stock.

It only takes one *** cop, and you're paying thousands in fines, and registration problems.

They went nuts on me one year because I put the wrong plates on the wrong Cougar; that's a felony if they want to be a hard ass. :)
He did drive by my house later that evening to see if I swapped them.
Here it’s 25 years and some limited mile restriction(1500? 5000? I forget), nothing more, and I’ve never heard of any hassles from people with plates. Police have better things to do. Plus, other than the late model wheels my car looks stock in presentation ?

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Thanks dDUBd. Noted. No holes. Great news tranny is done. I have to flush the cooling lines as they are probably full of crap. She is a sweet old girl and I was lucky to find her or did she find me? Bunch of **** in pa enhanced inspection. I wanted classic plates but at the end of the day it will be about a grand to get it all cleared up. The car was left at my buddies shop. It sat for two and a half years. The guy wouldn't pay his bill so my buddy had to take the car so now I have to get all that fixed up but no holes in floors and that's just amazing for a car that lived it's life here in Erie pa. They use a lot of salt here. Thanks for posting. Cheers brother. Happy New Year to you and yours.
Yeah, if the salt hasn't rotted anything, that's a good sign its been well kept. All the more reason to preserve the body since you wont find a whole lot of those cars on the road nowadays. My honest opinion .. if you do bump up the stall speed on the torque converter, keep it very minimal - if not, just to have a stock stall fresh TC is a major plus. You will actually increase the stall speed of the stock TC with an increase in engine torque / HP. The only reason I would recommend an increased stall is if you changed something else in the driveline - such as the rear end gear ratio. Happy new years to you as well. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

They cant prove you aren't "testing" your vehicle .. unless you are driving it every day or driving like an idiot. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

...you can have a converter that is rated at 10" 1800 rpm & a 12" rated at 1800 rpm as well but the actual stall will be different (by several hundred RPM in the same car) and is based upon the specific design of the converter vs, vehicle weight, gearing, HP/TQ.....and only, and I want to reinforce only the mfg will know what that is.....
What you are describing sounds more like the K Factor - the actual stall speed of the converter for any given application will be determined by the amount of torque output from the engine. Two identical engines with different physical size torque converters that are rated for a particular stall speed based on engine torque should still stall around the same RPM. That being said, a manufacturer is not going to build two different converters for the same vehicle. :geek::geek::geek::geek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats on finding that '77! It looks really clean underneath especially being from PA.

I had 2x '79 Tbirds. If I recall correctly the read end was a 9" but had obscenely high gear ratio like 2.75 Mine had a FMX transmission too until I swapped out to a C4 with a shift kit for a time.

My dream to have one again would involve better brakes (BAER makes a kit) and a stroked 351W with a 5 or 6 speed manual.

What motor is in it? Mine had an anemic 302 until I swapped in a 351W.

Oh one more thing, how many miles on it? If close to 100k swap out the timing chain. They used nylon coated teeth back then that would clog the oil pick up on the pump and would later skip teeth. I got to experience both.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts