TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, last night I finished up installing the kit or package from RobertP in my 62K miles '95 LX 4.6 Bird, had the seperator plate with holes drilled for mild settings (and all nicely deburred I will say) , two gaskets, new style 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator pistons, two springs (brown and violet) and a filter.

Just so you know, I've put shift kits in many cars and trucks over the years, some called for complete VB disassembly, new springs here or there, maybe a new governor spring set, etc. Never had an issue with one yet, even did a couple police cars. This was my first in a 4R70W and the kit idea sounded appealing, and by getting it I figured I could check his holes and there'ld be two sets of eyes checking the drilling where as if I done mine, no one to review my work? Price was good, especially when I didn't have to gather stuff or drill the plate. It was the right decision I see.

Car up on ramps, then jacked up at frame a little and stands in place, in park, brake applied. I used the hose in a bucket from top rad coller fitting to pump most fluid out of the pan.

My original 1-2 accumulator had only a bottom spring and it was in 4 pieces. It started shifting harder a few momths ago and I suspected the broken accumulator spring which is when I ordered the package from Robert to get the new pistons and predrilled plate to.

Bore was chewed up a little all around in a straight line where the spring pieces were pushed against it when the accumulator was pushed down under pressure.

I installed new parts choosing to use both the new brown spring on top and violet spring under the accumulator. I also cleaned the bore and worked the scarring some with very fine sand paper. I believe the scarring is below where the piston works so no harm.

2-3 accumulator with spring was removed, just put new style piston back and the retainer.

Swap plates, and removed 8 balls and weight thingy and sprayed VB and let dry, put 8 balls back where they were supposed to be ( I marked the old gasket with silver marker.) ... and weight thingy near trans filter hole. Put everything back together using the article.

Torqued the 25 - 8mm bolts and that one 10mm bolt to 90 in/lbs (that's 7.5 ft/lbs).

New filter install, etc ... Used 9 quarts.

Hardest part was getting my snap ring pliar tips to fitt and hold onto the inside snap ring in the 1-2 accumulator when removing it. My light weight pliars not stout enough, so dug and found my old KD snap ring pliar set and tips. Took two tips with broken tits (never discard tools, even parts may someday be made to work) and rounded the 6 sided tips to go in the snap ring holes.

Worked on tips again so they'ld go deeper in them holes while I had snap ring loose and could "fit" the tips. Piece of cake when putting back, used bottle jack and piece of short pipe as spacer to press spring - piston - spring - retainer back.

Test drove today, WOW .... glad I put both springs in the 1-2 accumulator! Would not want it any harsher under WOT! Light load driving, very smooth but noticeable shifts. Heavy throttle and the shifts get harder fast.

I like it.

I also noticed that a rattle or buzz almost at idle in neutral is now gone. I am pretty sure it was those broken spring pieces being stirred around when no pressure on the piston above them? Quiet in all positions now.

I am really pleased!

Just thought I'ld post an easy to find followup.

;)

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
I like it with the 1-2 springs in and the 2-3 spring out as well. I'm not in it for neck-snapping shifts, more for improved reliability. It's quick and painless during normal driving then when you get on it it responds pretty hard.

Which reminds me, I think the bottom 1-2 spring in the 94 is probably busted... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I really need to get my lazy ass doing this to mine as well. I would also change out the pressure valve while I was in there. Worth the money in the long run for a more reliable trans that shifts better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree, love the way it shifts without the springs, other people that ride in my car have different opinions though lol

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Do not bother with the overdrive servo it's hard to change in the car and if u don't catch the band going back together u lose over drive

Robert

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Pretty sure the Gurus will confirm that "pinkish purple" equals VOILET, a very hip shade this year.

& Yes... anyone driving with 97 or older 4r70w Main VB & no Jmod aint even GOT a Tranny that shifts - All it's doing is Flaring ~!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Robert ... Thanks Loads .... I removed all reference to it from my post so I don't lead someone else to try it. Thanks again!

Pretty sure the Gurus will confirm that "pinkish purple" equals VOILET, a very hip shade this year.

& Yes... anyone driving with 97 or older 4r70w Main VB & no Jmod aint even GOT a Tranny that shifts - All it's doing is Flaring ~!
I think you are right. I think I was looking at the charts and seeing "purple", "violet", and "pink" all listed as colors, was trying to "best describe" it. Violet will do nicely. I also see a pair of inner Dk Blue and outer Yellow listed for 01-05.

While I'm here, anyone know if these new springs I just used last better than the original?

Well, 6 am comes early I hear tell and I have to be at the range before 9 so ....
.... Good Night!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the great, detailed write up of your install, CrystalPistol.

I will have to find more info on the JMod. I gather from the info- that the JMod makes the AOD transmission shift quicker/firmer. I know when my 3.8L shifts it is very soft and RPMs drop a lot between shifts (at least 1200 rpm). I guess that's for comfort, but I want the trans to be sportier. Is that correct?

I have done some work on my 92 TBird SC. Saw the valve body when I changed the trans filter- did not disassemble it. Later I dropped the gas tank, exhaust, drive shaft to remove the transmission and torque converter. Done on jack stands / ramps, in my driveway... by myself. Would not suggest doing it that way- do it on a lift!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the great, detailed write up of your install, CrystalPistol.

I will have to find more info on the JMod. I gather from the info- that the JMod makes the AOD transmission shift quicker/firmer. I know when my 3.8L shifts it is very soft and RPMs drop a lot between shifts (at least 1200 rpm). I guess that's for comfort, but I want the trans to be sportier. Is that correct?

I have done some work on my 92 TBird SC. Saw the valve body when I changed the trans filter- did not disassemble it. Later I dropped the gas tank, exhaust, drive shaft to remove the transmission and torque converter. Done on jack stands / ramps, in my driveway... by myself. Would not suggest doing it that way- do it on a lift!
Yes and NO .... "Yes" definately so in my case ... and ... "NO" in your case as you cannot do the J-Mod on an AOD.

Mine in the '95 which I just did the J-Mod on is a 4R70W.

My '92 Sport with 302 has an AOD and likely I'll put a TransGo kit in it when fluid change tiome rolls around. It's got a nearly new transmission with under 10K on it.

From what I read, TransGo is not good in 4R70W but OK in an AOD. My '77 F-150 with C-6 has had a TransGo for over 20 years and it's fine.

Might check with RobertP or DirtyDog or Darrin or Silverfox ... and maybe some others here for recomendations????

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Yes and NO .... Might check with RobertP or DirtyDog or Buck or Silverfox ... and maybe some others here for recomendations????
NO NO NO - Buck AINT no Guru ~! - Buck a mere GRASSHOPPA lucky enuff to be schooled in a few minor areas by the all the TRUE Ninja's who are great enuff to hang around this great Board - & Add Dariin to the above - I'll help in the few finite areas I have personal experience in & hopefully save the Ninjas a redundant answer or 2 in those regards but beyond that I don;t go there.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it!

I knew I had picked up some tips from you ..... specific to these transmissions.

Forgot Darrin.

Did some looking, believe it'll maybe be a "TransGo #AOD-HP Reprogramming Kit" that I use on my '92's AOD.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Damn, Buck called himself a GRASSHOPPA! Honesty and modesty- two good qualities. Believe me I am blessed to be learning from the true custom tuners on this board too.

The JMod, oh well for my 3.8L (AOD). Not as easily modded as the 4.6L. If my car wasn't so well cared for for all these years.... anyway... I'm the 2nd owner and I take good car of her too. Maybe I'll just have to keep up with detailing her and modernize her by adding style, features and comfort. Leave the racing mods to those with SCs and V8s. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chargedbird .... What year is your 3.8 Super Coupe? You wrote '92 earlier, but your profile shows 1996.

The 1994 and up Super Coupes had the 4R70W trans and can be J-modded .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well my SuperCoupe was my first TBird. It was a 1992. And it was totaled in 2003. That was the nicest car I've ever owned and when I can afford it I will be in the market to buy another once.

Yup, people are always asking me about my 96 TBird, current car, even stock the car draws peoples interests. I always tell them this is my second TBird. I have a thing for TBirds and have been looking to own another for several years since my first one was totaled.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Chargedbird .... What year is your 3.8 Super Coupe? You wrote '92 earlier, but your profile shows 1996. The 1994 and up Super Coupes had the 4R70W trans and can be J-modded .
It's late on a Friday nite (Saturday) so no way I can get thru a Search but IIIRC D/Dog has VERY 3.8 specific reccomendations for these & the -300HP Mild JMOD stuff in the Mother of all Articles by Jerry does NOT apply fully to a 3.8 - I'm recalling thru the haze that maybe it's almost like a little 1-2 FLARE in these is a good thing ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the help. I'll be around and learn more in visiting the board. Modifying how a stock transmission shifts is a nice upgrade, and the relative ease of just a valve body mod makes this an interesting mod to me.

Hey I see Buck and CrystalPistol are both SSE region- if there are any TBird Club Meets in the area maybe I'll make the 10 hour trip and see your cars!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's late on a Friday nite (Saturday) so no way I can get thru a Search but IIIRC D/Dog has VERY 3.8 specific reccomendations for these & the -300HP Mild JMOD stuff in the Mother of all Articles by Jerry does NOT apply fully to a 3.8 - I'm recalling thru the haze that maybe it's almost like a little 1-2 FLARE in these is a good thing ?
Very well may be the case, I do recall there's a difference but I never looked that close at the 3.8 apps ..... but I am pretty sure the AOD was history after '93.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
5 years and 30,xxx miles update on J-mod

Just an update ....

Looks like 5 years have passed, I've put just a tad over 30,000 miles on the '95 since doing the J-Mod back then ..... and it still shifts faultlessly, I really like it. :wink2:

Hard to believe it was 5 years ago? Wonder where does the time go????

:smile2:

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Time does fly... I'm JMODDING my "new" 95 MKVIII after the Holidays when I hit around 60K Miles.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts