TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the same issue.
hard left turns and the pump sucks air.
This only happens when I get down to about 1/4 tank.

rm

·
Registered
814 Posts
Heah Rich, Sounds like your pump bucket moved or fell over. Hasn't happened in my Bird but it does happen. It's usually a pastic one, sits on the bottom of the tank with some kind of retainer. Probably came dislodged.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea if it is repairable or is it hosed?
Has done it since I got the car, planning on doing a bunch of things soon so I thought I'd see if there was a fix.

thanks
rm

·
Registered
814 Posts
You have to drop the tank. That's the worst part. Pull the sending, if you can't see it reach in and feel for it. Then set it back in it's spot.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the tank is not all that bad. Done it a few times now.
I guess the trick is to get all the fuel out so you can work on whatever is stuck, or messed up.

thx

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would say that is perfectly normal if you only have 1/4 tank. I have experienced the same thing. I just replaced my fuel pump last spring and I know my baffles are in place. You should have at least 1/2 tank of gas when driving aggressively to prevent fuel starvation to the pump. It's also better for the pump to have it completely submerged in fuel for cooling. I've heard of fuel pumps being damaged by running with almost no fuel in the tank. This might only be in certain cars, or an old wives tale. I have run near empty many times and never had a pump die. I do try to have close to 1/2 tank before doing a quarter mile run to prevent fuel from sloshing away from the pump.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
the pump uses the gas to cool itself, so don't run it low.

it's NOT normal, and the perfect time for a fuel cell if your going that way anyway.

otherwise, I'd look into a tank from a junk...I mean, auto recycler.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to be honest I had my old Tbird, the green car for 6 years and never experienced that issue, so I bet it is the "bucket" deal. I need to measure the pump setup too. It was changed before I got it and if it is bent I realize it could be contributing.

It really takes a hard turn, like a 40-50 mph hard left to make it go. I can see it happen right away, digital fuel pressure in pod

rm

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
GreenBird said:
the pump uses the gas to cool itself, so don't run it low.

it's NOT normal, and the perfect time for a fuel cell if your going that way anyway.

otherwise, I'd look into a tank from a junk...I mean, auto recycler.
I got a gas tank from El Mexicano auto salvage like 5 minutes from my house for $65 dollars. Just throwing in my $.02

What are you planning RM? :leftright

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hmm... what year is your old bird and your new one. The 92 and newer have a smaller fuel tank with different design. The older larger tank will have more fuel at 1/4 tank than the new style. The new style also has a hump in the centre for the exhaust, which might cause the fuel to move differently when the tank is low.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts