TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think this is what it is called....i dont know because i dont know too many car terms...but im gonna describe my problem....well when im at a stop and the lights turns green i press the gas and the rpm will go to 2500 rpm and when it goes into second there will be a strong pull.....at least thats what i think it is or is it a push? something like that

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
if it's first to second gear, its likely the lower 1-2 accumulator spring is broken. Its a fairly common thing, and not at all dangerous. In fact, if you installed the J-mod, you could remove that spring entirely.

Tom

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah its only from first to second other than that it shifts smoothly.....so if i take out this 1-2 accumulator spring where can i get a new one so it can shift correctly? and is it hard to install what would u rate it from 1- 10??? thanks for ur response oh yeah and where is the tech article located/ thanks

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
F7AZ-7F284-BA is the recommended lower 1-2 spring... for some reason it's rather expensive, I got mine for $23.55 from Dan Newman, I don't know if he's ready for business at joe cooper ford or not. Either way, give them that part # at any dealership and you should get what you need. The install requires a set of snap ring pliers. Drop the tranny oil pan, remove the cover with the snap ring pliers, replace old spring with new, replace cover, snap ring, and then pan. Add fluid as necessary. This can be done fairly easily. FYI, be careful removing the pan and snap ring. The pan will make a mess, as theres a lot of fluid in there, and the snap ring/cover some times has spring force against it.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
By the way, make sure you wear beat up clothes, tranny fluid NEVER gets out of them, lol.

·
Registered
306 Posts
F7AZ-7F284-BA is the recommended lower 1-2 spring... for some reason it's rather expensive...
Actually, the stock spring for the TBird is F3LY-7F284-A.
It sells for considerably less, and is purple in color.
The spring listed in the mod sheets is actually for a Crown Vic/TownCar.
It is used in a J-modded transmission - somewhat less stiff, I believe.

Be sure to change your 1-2 accumulator while in there to the rubber over steel type.
The aluminum accumulator is crap, and will damage your transmission casing!
1-2 accumulator Ford part # F7AZ-7F251-AA.
The spring on top should be blue, if you have one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts