TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but no big results came up for it but anyways, when I first bought my car, the owner said it needed a new trans filter to stop the slipping... Transmission went dead. Dropped 1k$ into the trans to have it rebuilt [i know i shouldve done it myself] anyways, the new trans only has 3k miles on it and even since i got it back from the shop, from 1st to 2nd it shifts really hard.. if you granny it, it wont do it, but driving it regularly, it shifts hard and jerks the entire car... I took it back to the trans shop 3 times now, they say "we cant find nothing wrong" but yet everyone in my car looks at me like what the heck is that, when it hard shifts... Any ideas what it could be?

1996 tbird 4.6 automatic AOD trans

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
It is a 4R70W, and if it is only on the 1-2 shift, I can pretty much guarantee that the 1-2 accumulator spring is broken.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are a lot of automtic OD transmissions and they vary a lot in the way you diagnose problems. You shoul always identify the transmission if you want meaningful help.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well ya see, im not too mechanically inclined. only thing I know is that it was the stock transmission that went out, they rebuilt it [paper work says?] but the paperwork doesnt say the type of transmission or anything. so idk really. I just need some sort of ideas of what it could be because I'm going to take it back with a list of things [what anyone says] to them and tell them to check it, and recheck it to ensure its not the problem

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
It is a 4R70W, and if it is only on the 1-2 shift, I can pretty much guarantee that the 1-2 accumulator spring is broken.
I concur & that's where I'd start - OR the Upper 1-2 spring aint there - OR your Tranny O/H guy was lame enuff to leave an old scored Aluminun 1-2 Piston in there - OR the Main Valve Body Gasket's are bad or mis-Torqued - OR you have a sticking Regulator in Main Valve Body, or... ?

I just need some sort of ideas of what it could be because I'm going to take it back with a list of things [what anyone says] to them and tell them to check it, and recheck it to ensure its not the problem
Problem there is that IF they knew what they were doing they'd have fixed it already by checking all the things the Guru's here are gonna tell you to have them check - YOU NEED A NEW TRANNY GUY before you need new Universals & a new Differential ~!

& MOD needs to move this Thread.

·
Registered
58 Posts
KC, if you are unable to to get your transmission sorted out by talking calmly with your trans shop, shoot me a PM, I live close to Detroit and have anything you may need to resolve what ever they may have created for you, ie: a little lazy picking a drill bit less than 1/8th inch in size.

Kevin.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Don't be surprised if this is your problem. This is what my 1-2 shift accumulator spring and piston looked like when RobertP was doing the J-Mod. Good thing the piston bore was not scored bad. The spring was broken into 6-7 pieces.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem there is that IF they knew what they were doing they'd have fixed it already by checking all the things the Guru's here are gonna tell you to have them check - YOU NEED A NEW TRANNY GUY before you need new Universals & a new Differential ~!
Well the reason being for going to him was because it was my moms old friends father. They said when they took it for a test drive, they couldn't see a problem in the shifting. Tis why I'm gonna drive them when I take them, as well as a check list of stuff they need to look at, so they can't say we only looked at "this this this that we thought was wrong." if they can't fix it though, then i guess ill go from there

KC, if you are unable to to get your transmission sorted out by talking calmly with your trans shop, shoot me a PM, I live close to Detroit and have anything you may need to resolve what ever they may have created for you, ie: a little lazy picking a drill bit less than 1/8th inch in size.

Kevin.
Sounds good to me man. My car is in the process of repainting, but i get it back saturday, then it'll be back to the trans shop same day for them, so if they can't fix it, then ill see bout a refund, and get in touch with you and see if you cant help me and go that route.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
will a bad transmission such as the problems I'm having with mine cause the car to kind of drag? I lifted it today suspecting my brakes were catching and wanting to stop, but you can spin the rear tires freely with 1 finger and no force against it.. but when we put it in drive and let the wheels spin freely, you could hear a loud clink noise from the trans.. the main issue is when i get on it, it makes a bogging noise and its like it doesnt want to drive and wants to stop. any idea if this could be due to the transmission?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its not a missing upper 1-2 spring.. i just did the jmod and my rebuilt tranny did not have an upper 1-2 spring... and if its making that much noise, im no expert, but there might be something broken in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts