TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just need a starting place for some trouble shooting. She's a '97 w/ a Vortech
S-trim, 30 # injectors blah blah blah. When I try to start her in the mornings she doesn't want to fire. I have to mat the throttle to get her to fire. After she's running I get smoke from the exhaust. At first I thought it was oil, like the valve guides are going south. Last nite the wife said I had the aroma of raw fuel when I got home from work, so I'm thinking it's fuel and not oil. The idle is REALLY rough, usually hafta keep a foot on the gas when I'm stopped. MPG is 13-15 w/ 90% highway driving.

I'm doing a tune-up this weekend, but what else should I look for? Am I fighting a screwed up tune? Do I have a bad sensor causing the EEC to compensate w/ more fuel, in turn fouling the plugs??

Dan

quick update: did the eec fuse trick, got the CEL to turn off but still has a really rough idle and the exhaust smells of fuel

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
who tuned it?

·
Banned
377 Posts
well they say its always better to burn rich than lean.....but your prob sounds wayyy rich.

ill assume there inst a cel....but my old 90 corvette was doing that, it had an injector that was shorting.....but still, a fouled maf or stuck egr valve(of bad dpfe sensor) would also cause symptoms like that.....another problem could be your fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll go ahead and change out the O2 sensors w/ the plugs this weekend. Hopefully I can get the codes pulled this evening and I'll post up what I find.

Thanx for the help guys!! Nick, give me a call tonite if you get a chance. I still want a set of those heads.

Dan

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Will do, but don't change the O2 blindly. Run the car again and get the CEL. If you know anyone with a SCT Xcal2 do a datalog of the engine running and you can find the problems really fast once you know what to look for (and if you don't you can email the file it creates to me and I can read it here)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a zeitronix datalogger, I assume that will serve the same purpose. I just need to get it hooked up to the computer and stick the wideband O2 sensor in. I'll check around OKC for someone w/ an xcal2. I'll see if I can get that hooked up this weekend.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
It still has the base tune that it had when it left Kenny Browns shop back in 98
may be a stupid question but was that tune tuned for 30lb injectors?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts