TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the mornings, when it is mildly cold outside, it is really hard to get the button to go in on the shifter to get it out of park. It is to the point where it takes both hands to get it to move. However, when it is warmer, it shifts reasonably fine. It is still a little tough sometimes, but doable.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

~Chuck

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Probably the Shift interlock cable, or the solenoid itself. Mine is the same way after I spilled a full soda in the console.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The weather would make a difference with this? Like I said, it really only does it when it's cold outside, and I haven't started the car since the previous day.

Thanks,

~Chuck

·
Registered
510 Posts
I don't know what causes it, but a few winters ago I had the exact same problem. The problem went away though but I did not do anything.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Check your brake lights, but if it happens when it is colder, then the mechanical cable that can stick when things are thinker (like when it is colder) is a good possible failure point.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check my brake lights for what? The work if that's what you mean.

How can I access the cable, and this BOO switch and what should I look for when I find it?

Thanks,

~Chuck

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
If your brake lights do NOT illuminate when you press on the pedal, then you will have a hard time (if at all possible) shifting out of park, that is the trigger the interlock solenoid needs to allow you to shift out of park.

IF the brake lights are working when you press them, then the cable runs from the shifter to the column. Here are the basic steps for the problem from the pinpoint tests in the Service CD:

PINPOINT TEST A: SHIFT INTERLOCK SYSTEM DOES NOT RELEASE OR LOCK PROPERLY

A1: CHECK RUN FUSE
A2: CHECK RESISTANCE OF CIRCUIT 298 (P/O)
A3: CHECK POWER SUPPLY FROM RUN FUSE (5A)
A4: CHECK STOP LAMP OPERATION
A5: CHECK POWER SUPPLY BETWEEN BRAKE PEDAL AND SHIFTLOCK ACTUATOR
A6: MEASURE RESISTANCE IN GROUND CIRCUIT

But with it being temperature specific, I would think it is the mechanical part of that all, but if you want more of the steps to pinpoint it, let me know.

The BOO is on the brake pedal arm.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The brakelights work, so I think there is something mechanical as well. I'm just a no0b so I have no idea what to look for.

Could this BOO thing still be a cause?

Thanks,

~Chuck

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
No the BOO switch (brake on off) is what controls the brake lights so if you have lights your boo is fine

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Chuck, the cable runs from a solenoid under the dash to a small lever at the shifter base. If you take the console top off, you can see a small (plastic?) arm at the front of the shifter, with a thin cable going to it. When you step on the brake with the key on, the cable should pull the arm which releases the push-button on the handle. Disconnect the cable from the arm, I think it just hooks in there, and maybe you can get your finger in there and see if the arm is hanging up. If not, then I would just assume it's the cable or solenoid...these are serviced as one assembly (cable+solenoid). If it still gives you trouble then you could leave the cable disconnected temporarily until you get the replacement parts and that way you would'nt have to step on the brake to release it from Park- you'd still have to press the thumb button though, it should not hang up with the cable disconnected. But, if you have kids or pets that ride with you, then this probably isn't a good idea, because they could accidentally release the shifter from park just by pressing the button.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Mine did this same thing after I swapped trans. The permanent quick fix was to slam my fist down on the shifter to push it closer to the floor. It hasnt done it to me since. Give it a shot, nothing to loose unless you hit too hard:)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I was out for a while. So it seems the consensus is the cable that goes to the shifter or some part of it. I'll have to check it out.

How do you get the console off? I haven't done it before in the 97.

Thanks,

~Chuck

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
my car does this to, my dads 98 taurus does this to when its midly cold outside. I just grab it with both hands and shift it.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
CaliHwyPatrol said:
Sorry I was out for a while. So it seems the consensus is the cable that goes to the shifter or some part of it. I'll have to check it out.

How do you get the console off? I haven't done it before in the 97.

Thanks,

~Chuck
Just remove these two screws and then the black top portion of the console will lift off. There are a few more screws if you want to remove the entire console

1 - 18 of 18 Posts