TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned on my car to look under the hood. The serpentine belt was being torn apart. Some pieces of the belt were by the spark plugs. I turned off the car.
My brother replaced the belt and noticed a noise. THe tensioner wobbled. He replaced that. Looking at it now the harmonic balancer wobbles a little and the rubber seal that you can see from the front seems broken.
Should he replace that with an oem part or should I buy steeda under drive pullies?
The Harmonic balncer is 79 bucks and the under drive pullies are 150.

I've heard bad things about the underdrive pullies such as the alternator not working well at low rpms. Anyone have any other problems?

·
Registered
441 Posts
when i got my pullies it didnt come with an alternator pulley, so if i was at a stop light and had my music bumping my amps would decrease. if you get performance pullies make sure you get the alternator pulley. and if you dont get it get a smaller alternator pulley then the stock one and you'll be ok.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
my recommendation has been if you work downtown or get in a lot of traffic jams, leave the stock alt pulley on, otherwise don't worry about it.

I live downtown so I see a lot of stop and go -- in the lincoln (I had to put a volt gauge in it), I see it slipping below 12v sometimes after a lot of stop and go. With headlights on, AC/heat on, and the air ride pumping ...thats a bad time to be the battery (drops to 10v and sometimes the ABS light comes on saying -hey stupid, I don't have enough power to keep this system alive-). But thats an extreme case and its only happened to me twice in a year -- and it is a lincoln, lots of extra systems on it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have that problem when using all of those sytems. I dont have the air ride so I probably wouldn't ever have that problem right?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah I'll just stick with the stock balncer :ztoohot:

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
funnyfingers said:
You have that problem when using all of those sytems. I dont have the air ride so I probably wouldn't ever have that problem right?
no you wouldn't -- air ride pump is a big load on the system -- more than headlights and AC.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Screw stock,,, go Steeda! I just put mine on and love em, sure, when it idles at 600 you can see the volt gauge go down but it jumps back up when I pop it in neutral or tap the gas.
Do it, you wont be sad!

-Dave

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Go with the asp's they are the same as the steeda and they are cheaper

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aren't the pullies for the like 96-00 mustang the same as the 93-97 4.6L on our cars? The seller on ebay would not guarantee that it will fit. I emailed him saying it should and if he were to guarantee he would have a sale.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
funnyfingers said:
aren't the pullies for the like 96-00 mustang the same as the 93-97 4.6L on our cars? The seller on ebay would not guarantee that it will fit. I emailed him saying it should and if he were to guarantee he would have a sale.
yes, 96-00 GT pullies will work on your car..end of story. Stick with the OE alternator pulley, the underdrive one is almost the same size.

joseph

1 - 11 of 11 Posts