TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is a sticky on this, I am blind to it somehow.

Can anyone share any experience in choosing and fitting in a bar and harnesses?

We need to have new condition restraints at Maine, and need to upgrade our safety.

Thank you.

RD

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
harness1.jpg harness2.jpg

Something like this ? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What does, "new condition" restraints mean .. is this for track use or daily driving .. factory seat belts are perfectly fine for everyday driving and shouldn't be questioned unless they are physically damaged. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Sir,

The Maine Event is a landspeed event, and we have to get through tech.

My concern was the bar width, and the fitment of a universal assembly.

Your example is pretty much exactly what we require. Can you share any thoughts on size, Mfg, prices, and how it went together?

Thank you.

RD

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Probably at least $1000 … for the cage / harness / seat bracket. I installed this setup in my buddies 2017 GT350R Cobra. It came from the factory with the Recaro seats - I really like the way the belts pass through the seat like they are supposed to. The cage is a modular design so it "bolts" together with interlocking points. Pretty easy for me, but skill is a measure of experience / application. The driver uses a regular seatbelt for everyday driving, the harness is only used on the track.

This is a Watson Racing 4 point cage (Bolt in) .. I strongly advised against the 6 point since its not a "track only" vehicle and that would require removal of several more panels / cutting of the dash. For the cage and rear seat bracket mount, you may need to fabricate your own - I am not really aware of anybody who makes any kits for the Tbird.

I would talk to the tech / track officials or somebody familiar with the event and see what the inspectors will be looking for - welded in base plates / fully welded cage .. Track use is one thing, but Land speed might require something different and a "bolt in" setup might not pass.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
What is the power setup and what kind of speed to you expect to run?

Al

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dDUBb and Al,

Thanks so much for sharing, we are amateurs and on a budget. My boy and I are making his Grandfather's (my Dad) last car into a reason for an annual event, and have fun being together working on it. It has been a lot of fun so far. Can you suggest a harness bar and harness brand? We were actually planning to do the Rhodes Lemons and Chumps package but after your comments I do not know now...

Loring Timing Association runs the Maine Event, a 4 day deal in July and another in September. Loring AFB is a decomissioned SAC base and is the three-mile plus of runway, many miles of taxiway. As rookies, we will be getting our licenses this summer, at the event. Track official designates 25mph increments and the driver has to demonstrate control, up to 135mph in a streetcar with no safety devices added. The car has to have "{like new condition"{ seat belts which ours are not.
Rather than go straight to a Rollbar or Rollcage we thought just a harness bar and harnesses would be okay for this year. All the PPE applies, and I will get a rulebook and connect with the Technical Representative by phone or email to get comfortable as you suggest.
I appreciate the comments about streetability and the cage and harness obtrusiveness. Above all, the car will remain a fun car to drive on the street and smacking heads or getting tangled up ain't fun.

They say speed cost money up there
Streetcars can run to 135mph with license and Rookie stickers

IIRC, it is like this, or nearly so
4 point bar++...okay to 150
6 point cage+++...okay to 175
Cage, chute, suppression, ++ as fast as you can go I think

The car is stock power, we are repairing and upgrading the drivetrain this Spring. We are stockpiling parts now for the upgrades, as the budget allows, and hopefully will get it together for July. I enjoy working on the car, it is challenging and fun to do with my son.
We have done full brakes, rear springs and shocks, front coil overs, uppers and lowers, Balls and14 point steering kit, new rack and SS hi-pressure steering upgrade, new cooling system, battery relocated, remote shutoff and Inverter upgrade, trans cooler and j-mod with solenoids and harness and pan upgrade, dual remote oil filters, custom CAI, a little intake porting, PCV A/O separators and reservoir, 3 muffler delete with turndowns
We just got:
Front used OEM Mustang twin 3 spoke 17x8 with 245/45ZR17Y Pilot knockoffs
Rear New American Mach 5 18x9 with 275/40ZR18Y Hankook Ventus V12

For the driveline so far we have stockpiled
Used FRPP Trak-Lok carrier
Used MK V!!! 3.5" Driveshaft
New Front Hubs, 5X4.5 Mustang
New Richmond 3.73 Ring and Pinion
Richmond Install Kit
Axle and carrier bearing and seal kit
FRPP Trac Lok rebuild kit

We still need to purchase
New Torque Converter
Flexplate and hardware
Sure-Grip CV rear axles, 28 spl, 5x4.5
Tuning device, Software, Textbook and Tune

I expect we will be capable of 135mph, and I will be happy I went through the machine myself watching my kid run it. I feel like we will be safe and reliable, we plan to drive up and its about ten hours from here.

Regards,
RD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts