TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
... A cold air intake and a 75mm throttle body and upper plenum? Has any one put those on their Cougars? I just wanted to ask that question I don't want to waste my money on some thing that is not worth the effort on spending the money on.

I have noticed a big difference on my Mustang with a 75mm throttle body and upper plenum on it before the work I have done to that thing. Just wanted to get input ...

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
That would depend on which motor, which upper plenum, and is it really truly a cold air intake (BIG hint - the factory intake is; most so-called CAIs aren't.)

As a hint - the "upper plenum" was on the 5.0HO; the 4.6 uses a one piece intake manifold. So if you've got a 1995, I doubt you'll find an "upper plenum" for it.

RwP

·
Banned
575 Posts
Imo its a great starter mod...always the 1st mods the do..its opens the top end up a lot and you don't need a tune either ...it will run correctly with no cel

·
Super Moderator
12,084 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,052 Posts
The hole in the manifold itself is a bottleneck for any throttle body over 70mm anyway, gains for these have always been placebos, "big gains" is ridiculous unless you had a clogged air filter beforehand. The C&L/75mm combo I briefly had before I spun a rod bearing and parted the motor for the 4V swap was imperceivable to the stock 70mm SVO(F150) throttle body on the factory plenum... which was imperceivable to the stock 65mm... Throttle response changes some, there's more oomph with less pedal input, as you'd expect, but wide open throttle the performance is the same, the real restrictions are in the heads and the plastic manifold itself.

It looks damn good though, but buy used and buy cheap(under $100). For the near $300 these things retail for you can buy a damn PI engine from a junkyard these days.

If your cougar is a 95 and currently stock you need a 96+ or PI intake manifold and the various vacuum/fuel lines/misc items to use any of it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
That would depend on which motor, which upper plenum, and is it really truly a cold air intake (BIG hint - the factory intake is; most so-called CAIs aren't.)

As a hint - the "upper plenum" was on the 5.0HO; the 4.6 uses a one piece intake manifold. So if you've got a 1995, I doubt you'll find an "upper plenum" for it.

RwP
The C&L enlarged throttle body plenum is the "upper plenum" on our cars, the 75mm Throttle body bolts to it, and you can also get a throttle body spacer. My car had a throttle body spacer on it when I got it (1/2") and my new motor has an accufab 75mm throttle body, the C&L enlarged upper intake, MHS Stage 2 NA/PI cams, MHS street ported heads, kooks large tube headers, cams are degreed with Trick flow adjustable gears, and I'm expecting some good power out of it.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
The C&L enlarged throttle body plenum is the "upper plenum" on our cars,
No, it's not.

Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a tail; it just makes you sound silly.

From the factory, the 95 4.6 has an intake manifold, period.

The 5.0HO has two plenum chambers, a lower plenum (the lower intake) and an upper plenum (that log thing that hangs over the driver's side valve cover).

RwP

·
Super Moderator
12,084 Posts
You mean calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg?

·
Super Moderator
17,052 Posts
No, it's not.

Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a tail; it just makes you sound silly.

From the factory, the 95 4.6 has an intake manifold, period.

The 5.0HO has two plenum chambers, a lower plenum (the lower intake) and an upper plenum (that log thing that hangs over the driver's side valve cover).

RwP
It's one of those things like struts, people misuse it and marketing departments pander to the misinformed public.... like selling an ELBOW for $300.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts