TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1


that is the result of ~300 1/4 passes, a good 70-80 of them with 1.7x-1.8x 60's on drag radials. The picture doesnt show it very well, but besides the peice that cracked off, the entire thing is spider cracked. I guess it doesnt like what I am doing to it...its the passenger side rear (obviously rear) hub/spindle.

It goes on the wall of shame with my many broken halfshafts, torn floor, and torn subframes!


rob
91 xr7 5.0
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
940 Posts
hmmmmmmmm............. I thought usually the halfshafts go, that makes me wonder what you do with your car, I guess you can say it's time for a new pig
 

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Wow...

I see you are running 13s so I would say that is about the limit of our rears.Thats funny though because alot of guys are running faster times witout any thing breaking.Do you think it was maybe weak from the start?I hope that didnt break on you while you were driving.
I guess I am going to have to strengthen up my rear bfore I start hammering on it.With my 94 that is.
Sorry to see it broke on you,
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Wow...

LX-Tasy said:
I see you are running 13s so I would say that is about the limit of our rears.Thats funny though because alot of guys are running faster times witout any thing breaking.Do you think it was maybe weak from the start?I hope that didnt break on you while you were driving.
I guess I am going to have to strengthen up my rear bfore I start hammering on it.With my 94 that is.
Sorry to see it broke on you,
Chris
I drove it ~100 miles to (long story) and from the track like that...it was a SCARY ride home..lol

I think I broke it when I had the 5 speed in the car, I also broke 3 halfshafts with the 5 speed. I never broke a thing with the automatic. I switched back to the auto ~1500 miles ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
No, that wouldn't help this problem. This is the outboard hub, and it was just the result of too many repeated shock loads (clutch dumping). It doesn't surprise me to see that happen.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dode said:
No, that wouldn't help this problem. This is the outboard hub, and it was just the result of too many repeated shock loads (clutch dumping). It doesn't surprise me to see that happen.

John
the car is an automatic, I had the 5 speed in the car for ~1500 miles, and 5 passes down the track, 3 of which resulted in broke halfshafts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
rl- said:


the car is an automatic, I had the 5 speed in the car for ~1500 miles, and 5 passes down the track, 3 of which resulted in broke halfshafts.
EXACTLY!! Manual launches + drag tires = broken IRS more times than not.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
cobra stuff ?

i've been looking into this trying to see if the cobra parts are usable , the shafts in those things look like trees ! ('03) plus they are 31 spline, this would help you i think
maybe use the hubs and pumpkin , and go to 31 spline ?
just some ideas
 

·
Ohio TCCoA
Joined
·
863 Posts
LOL Rob I just replace my hub and bearings yesterday. Mines really bad not that bad but it was fried. I will post pics and the story soon.

later,
jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right now I am running 99 cobra halfshafts.

A friend is giving me some 01' cobra 31 spline halfshafts and hubs, The only problem is I would have to swtich the a 4.5 on 5 patern, and get a 31 spline dif cut for the ciclips. I'm goina leave it as is, until I break something again, then switch to 31 spline...

All you have to do is have the cobra hubs pressed into your spindles, and switch differentials.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top