TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a copy of the 1996 ford service cd and came across this and thought it was interesting. Has anyone ever heard of this or actually heard this?

Shift Indicator Tone

When the vehicle reaches a speed of 120 km/h (75 mph) in a gear other than overdrive, the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) sends a ground signal through Circuit 462 (P) to the integrated lamp control module. The integrated lamp control module then emits a high pitch tone (refer to Powertrain Control Module in the «Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual»).

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can think of some fun uses for this if there is such a thing...

Get some ricer in your car and hit that warning buzzer and tell them it is the "engine screaming for mercy"

or

it's the "pre-emptive passive restraint system" where if the car senses an abnormally high speed in relation to the engine RPM then the air bags automatically deploy...

ok, I am tired... think I am going to take a nap now

John

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've heard of this but have not actually heard the buzzer thing. I have seen the yellow upshift light come on at about 100mph when driving in (D) telling you to stop being stupid and shift into (OD) so im assuming that the chime or buzzer must come on after the upshift light or after its been on for a while.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
How about that? It's in the 1994 manual as well....

Section 13-09: Gauges, Warning Devices—Chime/Buzzer System 1994 Thunderbird/Cougar. Workshop Manual

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shift Indicator Tone

Overspeed Warning Tone

4.6L Engine

With the ignition switch (11572) in the RUN-START position, when the vehicle reaches a speed of 120 km/h (75 mph), the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) sends a ground signal through Circuit 462 (P) to the malfunction indicator lamp control (MIL control) (10E850) . The malfunction indicator lamp control then emits a high pitch tone (refer to Powertrain Control Module in the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual ).

Transmission Overheat Warning Tone

3.8L SC Engine

With the ignition switch in the RUN-START position, when the transmission reaches the "overheat" condition, a ground signal is sent to the malfunction indicator lamp control through Circuit 924 (BR/O) to Circuit 462 (P). The malfunction indicator lamp control then emits a high pitch tone (refer to Powertrain Control Module in the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual ).

A thought: maybe, since a lot of us have auxillary transmission coolers installed, the transmission doesn't get to an overheated state....? Since the ground signal follows the same route, would you think the overspeed tone and overheat tone may mean the same thing? Take a look at DTC P1711 and P1783 in the PC/ED...they cover out-of-range transmission tempertatures....

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Hey, I just found that info (on the warning chime) on Thursday. I was at Vo-Tech, and instead of looking up info on how to teardown a 5.4L, I was printing out 'Bird stuff instead. :D

And, I found this chart for the transmission temp sensor readings:

Fluid Temperature --- Sensor Resistance

-40 to -4 *F--- 967-284 K ohms
-3 to 31 *F --- 284-100 K ohms
32 to 68 *F --- 100-37 K ohms
69 to 104 *F --- 37-16 K ohms
105 to 158 *F --- 16-5 K ohms
159 to 194 *F --- 5-2.7 K ohms
195 to 230 *F --- 2.7-1.5 K ohms
231 to 266 *F --- 1.5-0.8 K ohms
267 to 302 *F --- 0.8-054 K ohms

It'd be nice to be able to build a stand-alone trans temp gauge that could read from the sensor. It would save people from having to drill a hole in the pan for a trans temp gauge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts