TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I had the intake crack like all of the other all plastice ones do,so I put a new Ford OEM one on last night. After putting everything back in and starting the car, it knocks really bad (really BAD). First let me say that the torque wrench I borrowed from Autozone didn't work, so I dont know if I applied to much pleasure on the nine bolts holding the intake down. If I over torqued the bolts could that cause this noise? How far do these bolts go into the block?

I also replaced the PCV valve and the EGR valve. It sounds like the timming is off or that the lifters are hitting something. I let it run for a good ten minutes and it never changed. Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Need some HELP!

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Did you get a bunch of coolant/fluid in the spark plug holes? Did you dry them out? I assume you pulled the plug wires, I woudl check that those are also all plugged in and to the correct cylinder.

·
Registered
418 Posts
did you get a check engine light? if so, the code will direct you towards the issue...like plugs wires loose, misfire, etc.

double check that you connected the plug wires in the correct firing order too.

i would consider changing the oil. you can tell if you got antifreeze in there.

·
Registered
836 Posts
im guessing you got fluid in the spark plug holes. happened to me when i did my swap since i wasnt careful.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never took the wires off. The coolant mainly leaked out from the bottom where the alternator is. I gues I could pull all of the spark plugs and check to see if they are okay. The car only has 51K original miles on it, thus the original plastic intake. Because of the low mileage I decided to wait and change plugs and wires at a later date.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
You may have gotten coolant in a cylinder and bent a rod.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not drain out the coolant per say....but when I removed the intake it was empty. Last night I replaced the bottom radiator hose and I got maybe enough to fill half a bottle of preston. The overflow bottle was empty, everything was empty other than was was at the very bottom of the radiator. When the intake cracked it dumped everything out in record time.

If water did get in, would it have started knocking as soon as I started the car?

I'm thinking it's going to Ford tomorrow.

·
Registered
903 Posts
If water did get in, would it have started knocking as soon as I started the car?
My buddy did that to his 'stang, made junk right away. If it did bend a rod, you have a bunch of options, depending what your $$$ situation is like.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually have an extended warranty on the car. Hopefully it kicks in for this. I just bought the car but they wouldn't finance it unless I bought a warranty....so I did. Kind of cool, covers powertrain only but hopefully it will cover this.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Actually have an extended warranty on the car. Hopefully it kicks in for this. I just bought the car but they wouldn't finance it unless I bought a warranty....so I did. Kind of cool, covers powertrain only but hopefully it will cover this.
Probley won't.I don't think an engine knock is part of powertrain.Or maybe it is?
If you do have a warranty I think you voided it by doing the work on the engine yourself.
Yup.Sure did.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
why would you buy a new OEM intake and do the work yourself, if you had a warranty on the car, where it could have been replaced by a dealership for just the cost of the deductible?

as far as cost to fix it, no one can tell you because no diagnosis has been done by you or anyone else....first figure out the problem

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
so whos the warranty company so I can forward this post to them, telling them your intentions

lol jk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I
The warranty was for internal parts ony and didn't cover the intake. I tried to have them fix it but no go. Well I guess it's off to Ford. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks to everyone for all of the info.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
well thats not entirely true....depends which one you get......i've had extended warranties cover the following completely:

headgaskets on an 93 3.8 V6 cougar (parts and labor)
on my 97 4.6: wheel bearings, sway bar endlinks, upper/lower control arms (parts and labor)
on a 96 grand marquis: complete engine replaced including labor costs due to cracked intake manifold (heads warped due to the loss of coolant and extra heat)

looks like you didnt do your research when you bought your extended warranty

1 - 20 of 24 Posts