TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ordering Bilstiens for my 95LX. I was just going get 4 of them, but someone mentioned that the front ones are actually different than the back ones?
If that's true, what is the difference, and does anyone know the different part numbers for front and back Bilstien shocks.

I sent in for a quote from Shox.com, and they sent back all kinds of prices for shocks, struts, and even prices for different manufacturers.

Does anyone here have Bilstiens all around that can pass along the info that I need.:)

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bilsteins...

I got a set for my 95 about a year ago. They are the best for most applications IMHO. The front stock has the spring perch and the rear is a normal shock. You will have to compress the spring to replace the front shock but is not a big deal tho...

I ordered the HD or heavy duty shocks. This is usually the regular part number. If they offer the 'Comfort' models, I would not advise those. Get the 'Sport' model if you need something pretty stiff. You can probably get custom valving if you need that. But you better know something about that if you call them, otherwise they may just say 'they don't do it' but they really do.

What happened to me is what I thought was just a shock problem turned out to be two problems. First the stock shocks were bad. But the bushings in the front control arms were bad too. So it still had noise. Just order them (upper and lower arms from 5 Star. Well worth it. Then get it aligned. Please note: Only tighten the lower shock bolts with tires/wheels mounted and on ramps. Other wise you will torque the shock bushing in the lower control arm.

From the Bilstein web site:
Bilstein Shock Absorber Specifications
from bilstein.com
Search Results
Note: Multiple results indicate different settings, different shocks for right and left, or both.
1 Match
Make: FORD
Model: Thunderbird
Year: 89-97
Blank: HD
Front: B46-1505
Footnote1: Does not replace electronically adjustable system.
Rear: B46-1506
Footnote2: Does not replace electronically adjustable system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Bilsteins...

jackjenkins said:
IWhat happened to me is what I thought was just a shock problem turned out to be two problems. First the stock shocks were bad. But the bushings in the front control arms were bad too. So it still had noise. Just order them (upper and lower arms from 5 Star. Well worth it. Then get it aligned. Please note: Only tighten the lower shock bolts with tires/wheels mounted and on ramps. Other wise you will torque the shock bushing in the lower control arm.

Hi Jack,

I seem to have the same problem. The front bounces real easy, and the rebound sounds kinda like jumping on a worn out mattress (about as close as I can think of to the sound). Did you replace just the bushings or the whole control arm? Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just replaced both the upper, lower control arms and the strut or tension rod bushings. Then got an alignment. I wanted to get the MN12 poly bushings but they were out of stock. Probably just as well since the car is just a daily driver. However the poly bushings would probably last twice as long as the rubber bushings. In Dallas the streets are crappy with lots of pot holes so stock bushings last ~50K before needing to be replaced. After replacing all of that I really remembered why I really liked the car in the first place.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're on the way

Thanks jackjenkins, I did a little more research after I posted and found the same info that you sent. So I was sure that I was looking at the right thing.

Ordered my Bilsteins and Eibachs today from Shox.com!

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
You might also want to get new shock mounts for the front and be sure to get new rubber insolators for the rear springs and grease them up good.

I run 20% more compression and 15% more rebound on my Front Bilsteins the rears are fine the way the come.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts